Life as a Center - Raimo Tuominen

SlapshotWrangler

OSLO - Life as a center has been an interesting transition for Raimo Tuominen. Spending most of his budding hockey career as a speedy winger who focused on scoring, it was really interesting when Raimo decided to make a switch for being a center. It was definitely a risk but according to Raimo, it was a calculated one he was willing and excited to take. Making the switch to a center from winger is definitely easier than transitioning from defense to a center but Raimo noted that he took notes on Ryan Kastelic and the adjustments he made in order to influence Raimo’s own choices. 

“It has definitely been a challenge but one that I am willing to step up to and that I enjoy. I have found myself having to be a lot more mindful in my own zone. Strength has definitely been a focus of mine; I think I have shifted from a speed-focused play style to one where I physically overwhelm others. Of course, speed is still a big part of how I play but I also need to be able to step it up against the toughest of opponents and be a tough customer myself. Learning faceoff strategies has also been amazing; I’ve been watching Bergeron clips and Dominic Moore clips to make sure that I can have an expansive faceoff arsenal. Of course, there is still a lot of work for me to do but I am making progress."