Trying to construct the best possible Super Coach team

scoop

At the end of the regular season, I always like to take a look at the results of the VHFL and Super Coach to analyze the best possible roster construction. While I don't have a definite formula to show me the best possible team for Super Coach, given that there is a salary cap, I have tried to put together what I think may be the top scoring combination possible.

Before I get into the best possible team, I will first reveal the Best Value Team. This would be a roster constructed of all the top fantasy scorers per salary.

Pos Player Name $ FP FP/$
F Jeff Lewis 4 159.5 39.9
F Lorenzo Cobberson 4 157.2 39.3
F Lucas Grey 4 146.1 36.5
D Tord Yvel 4 187.5 46.9
D Curtis Crumb 4 174.2 43.4
G Wumbo 3 136.1 45.4

This roster combined costs just $23 but scores a total of 960.6 fantasy points. For $19 less than the limit, this team would have placed 10th. Of course, you can utilize that extra $19 to improve on this roster, even if these players do give you the best bang-for-your-buck. In fact, the roster that I came up with as being the best only contains one of the players listed above. (Again, this is not a definite statement; I simply got to a point where I didn't feel like looking for more improvements, but this is definitely close to the best if not number one.)

Pos Player Name $ FP FP/$
F Cobalt Burns 5 174.7 34.9
F Jason 10 302.7 30.3
F Alfred Champagne 8 240 30
D Tord Yvel 4 187.5 46.9
D Brian Kowalski 9 288.6 32.07
G Karl Pederson 6 208.8 34.8

This team would score 1402.3 points. Obviously no one would ever come close to this, but it's still fun to look at. Although Wumbo looks like a very good value, it became evident pretty quickly that spending $3 more to get a 72.7 more fantasy points was the way to go. Jason was another one that it was pretty clear should be included. He was the 6th best FP/$ among forwards, and the only one that was at a value of more than $5, making him a valuable upgrade. Some other players that I had initially looked at were Mark Calaway and Skor McFleury, but Kowalski fit better as the first defenseman to upgrade to, and sticking with Yvel as opposed to the high-value forwards ended up making more sense.