Locker Room Interview - Jesse Teno

aimkin

I’m here with Jesse Teno on locker clean out day and they are looking a little worse for wear. As they finished packing up their bags, I approached and was able to get a short interview with the goalie.

“I know this season wasn’t easy for you. It was your worst record since entering the league. How are you feeling looking back at it?”

I feel okay, I suppose. I’m not sure what happened this season that caused such a downturn but I’m hoping that next season I can come back and prove that this season was just a hiccup. I’m sure overall I still look good, but this season has me feeling not the best.

“That’s understandable. What do you think you’ll be doing this off season to prepare?”

Same as always, I think. Just keep working at it with both professionals and with kids. I know it makes for an easy practice at the community rinks, but those kids really do keep me on my toes. It certainly helps with reaction time when some kid comes out of nowhere and is screaming bloody murder to try and scare me.

“That does sound like an interesting way to do it. Hopefully it will help this off season. So other than the usual, anything new to add to the routine given the hit this season?”

Possibly, yea. I haven’t really thought it out all the way just yet, but I think I’ll talk to the goalie coaching staff and conditioning coach and see what else I can do that either I don’t do a lot of or haven’t yet done before. I’m always looking for something interesting to add to spice things up a little bit.

“With only a few weeks to go before the start of the next season, do you think a new tactic or training regimen will make an impact in that short of time?”

I mean, I hope so. It would be easy to sit here and be confident that trying something new will suddenly improve my playing but honestly, I spent many years getting to where I am today and nothing over two weeks is going to have that kind of impact on my game. But I can try it and then hope that down the line it provides some sort of benefit whether that’s in game one of the season or in my last game in the VHL.

“Speaking of your last game, you’re rounding the corner into the backend of your VHL career. You’re entering season six of eight. How do you feel about that?”

Won’t lie, I can’t believe I’m already this far along in my career. It’s almost scary how far along I’ve come and just how long I’ve been playing for London. It feels like just yesterday I was being drafted. But I’m going to make the best out of the next three seasons that I can. 

“Do you think you’ll be spending the rest of your career in London?”

Well, if we can move to Scotland before my career is up, then I guess technically not. But yes. I would love to finish this out with London over the next three seasons. My teammates are amazing and while we had to say goodbye to a lot of them this season due to retirement and free agency, the core are some of my best friends and I don’t know where I would be without them. It would be a dream to retire with the team that drafted me. But if things change, I guess I can’t blame the math or the politics of the sport.

605 words for week ending 10/22/2023

9.5/10 

first and foremost sorry to hear that the season didn’t go as planned for your player, it’s always rough when the player doesn’t perform to expectations and I’m sure a bounce back is near. Like you said in article, you’re sticking to what you usually do to train this off-season, already betting on yourself!

This is a great article, i like how you can tell the difference between who is talking between the bold and not bold. I like how you show emotion in the article and talk from the players perspective as well as the interviewer. Spelling and grammar is nicely done. The one improvement i could recommend is maybe add a title in the media spot or a photo to make it pop out more. But other than that i think you are set. 

good luck this season :)