Rave on VHL Draft Day

tcookie

Today is draft day - there's nothing more for Phillip Rave to do. He has put forth a strong showing (27 points in 24 games so far) in the JST, completed a good rookie year at the VHLM level (74 points in 72 regular season games, 15 points in 11 playoff games) with the San Diego Marlins, gone through the VHL combine, and done interviews with several VHL (and VHLE) teams leading up to the big night. As teams finalize their draft boards and broker deals to jockey for draft position, all any of the players involved can do is watch.

As of the week leading up to the draft, Rave was the draft's 17th-ranked prospect by TPE. For most of the season, Rave was projected as an early-second round pick, but being ranked 17th with three goalies ahead of him - goalies can sometimes slip in the draft with how few goaltending spots are available at the VHL level - it's possible that Rave sees himself sneak into the late first-round thanks to a strong effort over the course of the season. Much of that will depend on the impression he left on GMs throughout the interview process.

"I had a few good chats with some teams and have an idea of where some of the interest is, but you never know what will happen on draft day," says Rave. "I will be happy to land anywhere I'm picked, just hope to do my best for that team down the road."

Rave will likely spend S91 in the VHLE before moving up to the VHL squad that drafts him for S92. Though he spent most of the first 22 years of his life in Europe, Rave is looking forward to at least one more season closer to home before whatever the VHL has in store for him. "Obviously, there are European teams in the VHL, too - so it may not be the last year I play close to home. It would be cool to continue my career in Europe, but I also really enjoyed the experience in San Diego this year and seeing the lifestyle in North America. I think whatever happens I'm just fortunate to be in this position to potentially play professional hockey as a career, so I'm just going to embrace that."