Rave Lands in Malmo, Cologne in VHL Drafts

tcookie

Over the last couple of days, Phillip Rave's future has been determined as the talented young centre was selected on Thursday with the first pick of the second round, 17th overall, by the VHL's Malmo Nighthawks. Then, on Saturday, Rave went 9th overall to the Cologne Express in the VHLE draft.

Cologne won the VHLE championship last season and will be the S91 home of Eric White Jr, a teammate of Rave's in San Diego last year, as well. Fellow S91 draftees Joshua Schwarzer and Theo Allard will be in Cologne, too.

"It'll be nice to have a few familiar faces, guys I've played both with and against last season, around as I transition to the next level. I know the E is a place that some guys struggle with especially at first so I think having some guys at a similar stage in their career, some faces that I know, will definitely help out."

Rave is looking forward to his new home in Malmo, too. Shortly after the draft, he signed a three-year, $6 million contract with the Nighthawks and is expected to push for a roster spot in S92. The Nighthawks missed the playoffs last year, but there's a solid collection of talent from the S87-on VHL drafts in Malmo, and they should be in a good spot to contend. "I mean, we have a big year ahead of us in Cologne before that - I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. But I had good conversations with the Malmo GM, I'm happy to be there and I think they're excited to have me in the fold, which is always nice. Draft position is just a number - it's what you do after the draft that people remember - and I'm looking forward to showing Malmo they made a great choice."