Number 44, Raimo Tuominen!

SlapshotWrangler

(This was written prior to the start of the season.)

CALGARY - Raimo will once again get to wear his beloved number 44 on the back of his jersey again. As mentioned in a previous article, 8 used to be favoured by the Finn (naturally, because of Teemu Selanne), however with Tappara, he had to switch to 44. Having wore the double fours in the SM-liiga, VHLM, and the VHLE, it is also unsurprising that Raimo chooses to don the number yet again. Now with the Wranglers, Raimo will be wearing the number 44 and working hard to make it a number that makes that Calgary faithful and his teammates alike feel safe when it’s on the ice.

“It’s always a been a special number. I mean, no longer just in terms of superstition. Superstition aside, it was the number sewn on my back for many of my achievements. It’s the number I wore and it’s stuck through my SM-Liiga days, my VHLM days, my VHLE days, and now I get to suit up in the big leagues while wearing it. It’s become more than a tribute to the number 8 Selanne wore; it really feels like a number of my own.”