Nikolas Kauppi - Following the Footsteps of Giants

Tetricide

APpgjqU.png

Nikolas and the Beanstalk

Nikolas Kauppi, born and raised in Tampere, Finland now resides with his team in Prague. Once hailed as what wrestling fans would call a "heel" in his junior hockey career, no one would expect the 180º turn around of the player he is today in the VHL. This doesn't mean he's not a tough player to go against, but he's not throwing players into the glass and beating them unconscious anymore. Some fans say Kauppi has gone soft, but most argue that he has more respect for the game and players now more than ever. No one is entirely sure what's changed in Kauppi's life for this to happen, but perhaps we can go back in time a few seasons and work our way towards a plausible theory. It's the off-season going into Season 84 and the VHLM draft is happening. Nikolas Kauppi is drafted 32nd overall to the Saskatoon Wild, a team that would be desperate for players all season. Since the Wild had a low roster, this allowed Kauppi to thrive despite his -14. Before being traded to the Mexico City Kings his record was 13G/18A/31P, and the 2nd half of the season with the Kings left him with a disappointing 6G/9A/15P as he was with a more full team and having to share ice time. Kauppi had a hunger for goals and wins, but it would seem his teammates had it more. Being far behind the likes of wingers Halvar Torbjorn and Alexander Stroheim only made his insatiable hunger for victory even more-so. In the Season 85 VHLE and VHL drafts, Kauppi would be drafted to the Oslo Storm and Prague Phantoms 16th and 17th overall respectively -- both teams who expressed interest during draft interviews. He was being noticed...and it put a fire into his skates. Season 85 with the Kings proved that Kauppi is capable of being an elite scorer and effective two-way forward as his season ending record was 41G/35A/76P with 11 PPGs and 34 shots blocked. However, despite this incredible boost in production, he would fall short of The Mediocre One's impressive record of 66G/63A/129P and once again below Torbjorn and Stroheim's records. Doing his best to keep his energy up in the playoffs, the Kings were eliminated in the semi-finals to the Las Vegas Aces. Unfortunately, this would be his last season in the VHLM as he would be called up to the Oslo Storm to play in the VHLE. Somehow, he had to figure out a way to win it all next time...

Climbing To the Top

Kauppi arrived in Oslo with both a heavy heart and heavy head. He loved that he had another chance to prove himself on a team that wanted him to play for them, but now he had the added pressure of the Storm just winning the Renaissance Cup the previous season. Is it even possible for them to do it again? In the beginning, it seemed impossible to even make the playoffs with the first 10 games record being 2 wins and 8 losses. There was an important team meeting that happened after another loss that seemed to reignite the fire that was starting to fade away in Kauppi. Throughout the season, he would have the best forward record on the team with 33G/34A/67P leading the team in goals, recorded 2 hat tricks, 6 PPGs, 7 game winners, and 11 stars (5 of which were 1st) of the game. Kauppi. Was. On. Fire. Even if they weren't the best team in the league (Cologne Express held that title), they were certainly a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs. Teaming up with his best linemates Randy Bobandy, Sebastien Dokis, and Vinny Lecavalier, they would go on to set the ice and their opponents on fire. Oslo went on to defeat the Istanbul Red Wolves in the Wild Card round in order to face off the VHLE's King's Cup champions -- the Cologne Express. With the likes of future Prague teammate Fred Hampton and the Cobberson brothers, it seemed the odds were against the Storm and they needed a plan to take down the best in the league. Cologne fans would explode with excitement as Hampton would score the game-winning goal in overtime for the 1st game at home, only to lose in overtime on the 2nd with Jon Webber Jr scoring the game winner. This would set a trend of how the series would start with both teams trading wins, except the Storm would send the Express packing their bags by winning the series 4-2. The Rome Gladiators would prove to be an opponent worthy of being in the finals against Oslo. Of the 7 games played, 4 of them ended in overtime which 3 were taken by the Storm. In game 4 there was a brawl on the ice started by Kauppi and Bobandy, both who won their fights and were also ejected from the game, which could be argued was the reason behind Oslo winning the next 3 games to secure their Cup winning victory. He finally did it...he was a Renaissance Cup champion. A victory that would not be his last.

I Get Knocked Down, But I Get Up Again

Our final chapter starts in Prague, Czechia. It's season 91...halfway into Kauppi's 5th VHL season, and "remarkable" to describe the journey so far doesn't even scratch the surface of the trenches Kauppi has had to crawl from. Fresh off the ice of a Renaissance Cup victory, Kauppi would find himself among some of the greatest players to light up the net with Perry LaperriereSaku Kotkakoivu, and Nils Godlander. Season 87 was Kauppi's rookie season where he was fighting for the Christian Stolzschweiger trophy (top rookie) against the likes of Sadie St-Louis, former teammate Randy Bobandy, and current teammate Matt Murdock (who ended up winning it btw). He would finish his rookie season with a decent record of 18G/36A/54P and named in the S87 All-VHL Rookie Team alongside St-Louis, Bobandy, Murdock, Skor McFleury, and Quinn Clark. Season 88 would prove to be Kauppi's worst and most disappointing between all three leagues with his season record ending with 15G/24A/39P, and despite this Prague still managed to take home the Victory Cup and take on the best teams in the playoffs. Unfortunately, they would make the 1st round exit to London losing the series 1-4, and Kauppi only recorded 2 goals. London United would go on to win the Continental Cup. "I don't know what it was except my worst performance ever. I did have to step up to the 1st line for once, but that's never affected the way I play like this. I feel like I let my fans down...myself down... ...My team. It just got worse over time, but I think this break will help so don't lose faith in me yet." And Kauppi was right, it did help. Season 89 has proven to be his best season yet with a big up record of 40G/47A/87P, a +37, 20 SB, 10 GWGs, 5 PPGs, and 18 stars of the game (seven 1st stars). Things were looking bright for both Kauppi and the Phantoms as they entered the playoffs, knocking out Moscow Menace 4-2 in the first round. However, in the 2nd round they would meet their match with HC Davos Dynamo, a team hungry for a Continental Cup since their last in S61, and lose the series 1-4. Once again, the team to knock out the Phantoms would go on to win the Continental Cup. Also, as the season awards were being announced, Kauppi was named as a nominee for the Dustin Funk trophy which is awarded to the player with the most improvement. However, Brian Kowalski would also go on to win this award by one vote (as well as many other well-deserved awards!). Both defeats crushed Kauppi's spirits, but used his time away from playing to work on himself both physically and mentally. Season 90 approached, and it was Laperriere's last to finally get a Cup before retirement. Kauppi didn't just want it for himself or Laperriere -- Prague, since its inception in S68, had not won a Continental Cup in its 14 previous playoffs appearances with 1 finals appearance. After a regular season record 39G/43A/82P he actually felt pretty confident compared to his previous seasons. Even if Prague finished 4th overall in the league and 2nd in Europe, it was enough to keep Kauppi's spirits high. Alongside linemates Laperriere, Lecavalier, and John Jameson he would find himself among the most elite players as they ran head first into the playoffs. Their first opponent was Riga Reign, which took a somewhat surprising 7 games to defeat. In the semi-finals it was their old rival HC Davos Dynamo, who were eliminated 4-1. Once again, the Prague Phantoms found themselves in the Cup finals only 4 seasons later, only this time against the Los Angeles Stars. After 3 wins, things were looking very promising for the Phantoms, and it took everything they had to maintain their game composure so they didn't get a reverse sweep. Game 4, LA Stars home, Continental Cup on the line, and the Stars made sure the Phantoms had to fight to earn that cup as they went into overtime with the scoreboard showing 3-3. However, in the very last minute to secure both the win, the Cup, and a happy retirement, Perry Laperriere would receive a breakaway pass from Admir Bala and score the game winning OT goal. The Prague Phantoms were finally Continental Cup champions! Nikolas Kauppi...is a champion, once again.

Following the Footsteps of Giants

Laperriere's jersey has since been retired. Jameson is now Captain of the team with Kauppi as an Alternate alongside Velociraptor Greg. With only a few seasons left to earn individual awards, all Kauppi had before as a blueprint were the actions made by his predecessors like Laperriere, Kotkakoivu, and Godlander. Jameson is now setting a trailblazing example of success and skill, shown now with his own championships, individual awards, and season records. Knowing more likely than not he will live in the shadow of his captain and predecessors, he uses this to work harder every day and every practice to be the next Laperriere. As of this post, Prague sits 9th overall in the league and 6th in Europe which is not ideal, but with just under 20 games remaining in the season anything is still possible. I think it's safe to say that Kauppi's mindset quickly changed entering the world of the VHL where it's not a league of showing physical prowess or how bad you can knock someone off their rocker. It's a league that cares deeply about its players and management that want what's best for their team, as well as trying every season to win a championship. Perhaps Kauppi saw an opportunity to be someone he never thought was possible -- someone who still matters on a team outside of being a complete goon. Now, he's trying to find his own place in the league following the footsteps of the giants he once rode the shoulders of.