S91 - Riga

11 Goals (+2 from S90)
27 Assists (+0 from S90)
174 SOG (+58 from S90)
144 PIM (+52 from S90)
164 Hits (+22 from S90)
88 Blocked Shots (-86 from S90)
1 Playoff Series (+1 from S90)

Riga Defenseman Fradin McGryer has finished his second season with the VHL. As the stats show, he's raised in nearly every category. Though Riga was hardly in the rough position as the rebuilding Calgary team from the season prior. The Boston native was traded over prior to the beginning of season 91, Calgary hopeful to shed one of it's more hard nosed players in hopes to speed up their rebuild. The scale of that success is too early to be measured, for both the Defenseman's career and the rebuild of Calgary. 

Fradin is no stranger to being traded about the league. He's never played more than a season for any team. He joined San Diego as an undrafted Free agent in season 88. Only to jump up to Vasteras the following season, traded a handful of games after to the no longer existent team of Geneva. After the dissolving of the Rush, McGryer was called up to Calgary. Where he learned under one of the VHL's grittier leaders, Phil Strasmore. A player that Fradin had throughout his second season, praised and expressed to be as much an idol as a mentor. That physical knowledge and experience was brought across the sea to Riga, where his hard hitting flourished. The Reign finished a point shy of leading the European Conference. The Assistant Captain, McGryer, went down swinging in typical fashion in the playoffs with a decisive bout against Wann Kerr of London.

Though whatever is to be made of his past seasons, the present of the off season holds uncertainty for his future. "I understand it's no secret to anyone that my contract has ended this off season. I can honestly say i've no idea where i'm going for the future. That doesn't mean I won't stay here in Riga, but if they decide to allow me to go on my way, I will promise that you will see me on the ice at the very least playing for someone. Grit is not as beloved in this league by scouts as it once was. But no one can win a cup without it, and I will gladly go apply my talents.. if you could call them that, where they're wanted."

With no official date for free agency yet on the calendars, it will be an interesting watch to see who will make offers for this high tempered third year defenseman. Rumors may swirl and speculation can run wild, though it's highly likely to be entirely snuffed out by a simple contract offer from Riga. Whom neither party has yet expressed displeasure in the other. Though, the same could've been said about any of McGryer's teams. The safer bet for your money could likely be to follow the trend of him leaving yet another team before playing two seasons for them. Who lands this Enforcer next?

515 words for 12/24/23