Initial Scouting Report for UghSike

The scope of my initial scouting report on UghSike will cover 3 aspects of his play style.

Offensive vision, Shot, and defensive coverage.

Player name: UghSike

Team Affiliation: Saskatoon Wild, VHLM

Handedness: Right handed shot.

Primary position: LW

H/W: 6'2", 210 lbs

Making his debut in the VHLM, UghSike seems focused and looking towards the future. As I sit in the stands and watch some of this season's rookie prospects, there are a few notable player's who catch my eye. One of them being UghSike who I was specifically assigned to scout. He seems confident with the puck and comfortable at both ends of the ice. If I were to categorize his player archetype, I'd consider him a two-way forward/playmaker hybrid. 

His vision, offensive awareness and passing are where he excels. Some may say he's afraid to take a shot, but I made the deduction early on that he generally looks for the best scoring opportunity in general. If a teammate is in better scoring position than he, he will capitalize on that and dish the puck selflessly. Positionally, he knows where to be to create space and get the defenders out of position. He's good a cycling the puck. Whether it be down low, back to the point, cross crease or a nifty saucer pass to a seemingly impossible receiver. 

*Compounded Grade for OV/PA - B+

From what I've noticed today, he's no slouch with his shot release either. He has a very strong slapshot, and his snap/wrist shot is nothing to overlook. He seems good at finding the gaps between the pads and the back of the net. With some work on accuracy, I foresee his slapshot as being one that opponents are reluctant to try to block. His wrist shot accuracy can use some work, but the release is wicked. Reviewing a few of his shots via my tablet, I don't think I've seen too many others get every ounce of whip out of their stick the way he does. Upon release, the shaft of his stick is something reminiscent of a hunter's bow fully drawn.

*Grading for wrist and slapshot - B

Finally, I'll make mention of some areas that could use improvement. Physicality and checking are somewhat non-existent in his game. Although not all player's play a physical game, it's imperative when necessary. He has the size to be a physical presence, yet seems reserved about using it to his advantage. I don't see this as being a long-term issue. I think he's just finding his feet if you will, and as time goes on and comfortability in the league becomes less of an issue his impact (no pun intended) in the checking department will be formidable.

*Grading for defense awareness and checking - D

If I were to give an overall assessment for what I've noticed in his play style just from today, I'd give him a solid B grading in aspects of offense and a D+ in his defensive  coverage and back checking. This is by no means a final grading. At just 19 years old, his full potential is only beginning to blossom.

Edited by UghSike
Typos

2 hours ago, Noodle Enjoyer said:

He's a stand up guy in the locker room too.

Thanks. I truly appreciate it, and the sentiment is reciprocated. 👍