The Teno Foundation Grows

Aimee

With the severe drop in temperatures on the east coast this week, Jesse Teno flew home to Vermont to help their foundation set up pond hockey rinks for the locals. By repurposing old nets and boards, they were able to fashion about a dozen rinks all over southern Vermont for both kids and beer leagues alike. “It feels good to come back home once in a while and get my hands dirty for the foundation,” Jesse told us when they landed in Burlington. “I really enjoy getting out from behind the paperwork.”

Along with their families and a few players from the University of Vermont, the Teno Foundation was able to put together the rinks in no time. Each received two nets, a set of old boards, and the foundation also paid for the hiring of retired refs to help with some future games between beer league teams. In regard to using the funds for adult leagues, Teno had this to say: “I know the foundation was built with the idea of supporting kids but with the increase in cash funds for the foundation this past year, I think it’s important that we also support local adult leagues too. Not only are they also worth the effort we can put in, but some have already offered to help coach future kids’ practices. What’s the point of working with a community if you don’t help everyone?”

During the holiday season, it seems the Teno Foundation had a large injection of funds due to some anonymous donors as well as official sponsors; the largest being the VHL. While the numbers are still yet to be reported, it is believed that the foundation has a few million dollars to play with. And play with it they will. Jesse Teno informed us that the foundation is already planning its expansion into northern Vermont and New Hampshire. With that sort of spread, they will be able to help many more thousands of kids and families acquire hockey gear and lessons that they otherwise could not have afforded.

It was noted, as Jesse Teno was giving a small interview at Riley Rink where it all began, that they have two years remaining in the VHL career. The question was then posed as to whether they would then solely focus on the foundation afterwards. “I think it’s going to be a main focus, absolutely. I have no plans on walking away from or closing up the foundation just because I retire. This whole thing is my creation and I intend to see that it last for a very long time. It certainly won’t be my sole focus, but definitely a very important one.”

It's obvious that with the passion Teno has for hockey, they will continue to see that their foundation remains a successful endeavor. Time will only tell how far they will be able to expand but it would not surprise us if one day there are Teno Foundation classes and rinks all over the country. But for now, it seems the state of Vermont will do for a start.

514 words for week ending 1/21/2024