Running With the Bulls: H-Town Heat

LucyXpher

rwtb.thumb.png.0eba4dab42c4f299816cf13ec0189b94.png

I'm not going to lie, it is kind of strange not having anything controversial to carry this article, though I suppose that's a good thing.  Maybe this week I can actually just write about the team-- ooh, or how about some Houston weather?

This past week saw a cold front move through Houston, causing temperatures to drop below 32 F.  It's a rare occurrence in this part of the country, to be sure, and this reporter spent the better part of her Tuesday snuggled under a cozy blanket, drinking hot tea, and watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  Many of our northern readers, especially those in Canada, will probably scoff at the notion of shutting down a city because of a little bit of cold.  Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds weak. Y'all drive on snow-packed roads up to 5 months of the year. You plug your car in overnight hoping it will choke to life in the morning at the fifth time of asking.  You've used your arm as an ice-scraper.  You hit the ODR when its -20 C.  You wear shorts and a t-shirt in January to take out the trash.  As someone who's lived in Alberta for some time, I get it, I do.  Just keep us Houstonians in mind when your mild summer rolls around and you're out enjoying the beautiful weather.  By mid-August, Houston will be hotter than the ninth circle of hell and we'll all be swimming-- yes, swimming-- through suffocating humidity.  Sounds nice? Come on down to experience some real warm southern hospitality, and bring some of the cold with you.  

Where was I going with this? Oh, right-- in the midst of a cold snap the Houston Bulls are hot! 9 wins and 2 losses in their last 11, hot!

After a slow start to the season with an inexperienced roster, the Bulls have started to turn the corner.  The first of the Bulls' two recent losses came at the hands of the Philadelphia Reapers, who took a 7-3 victory.  The final score, however, doesn't tell the whole story as the Reapers were trailing the Bulls 3-2 after two periods of play.  An explosive 5-goal third period powered the Reapers to a lopsided result that betrays the competitive action of the first two-thirds of the game.  The Bulls' only other loss during this 11 game stretch came against the lowly Mississauga Hounds a couple nights ago, who currently hold a record of 3-21-0 with only 6 points on the season.  It's a game the Bulls would have wanted to win, and as an observer, I can't help but think that the Bulls played down to their opponent's level in this one.  Perhaps this is still a sign of the team's lack of experience and killer instinct.  To their credit, the Bulls came back the next night and earned a convincing 3-1 win against those same Hounds.  

Despite the Bulls doing everything in their power to keep Houston hot, even through some chilly weather, they've failed to make up much ground rank-wise.  Sure, the points in those wins have helped them close the gap to first place overall as they currently sit only 6 points back of the 16-4-4 Miami Marauders. In terms of standings, however, the Bulls remain in 6th place through 24 games, holding an record of 14-8-2.  Unfortunately for the Bulls, the teams that they're chasing in the standings have traded wins and losses recently, resulting in a shuffling of the top teams since this time last week.  

The Las Vegas Aces have fallen from their top spot after a scorching hot start and are now losers in their last three games, slipping down to 3rd overall. Meanwhile, the Reapers and Marauders have been able to move up to 1st and 2nd respectively, and San Diego and Mexico City have been able to do enough to stay just ahead of the charging Bulls at 32 points apiece.  

In a season that has been filled with all kinds of drama for the Bulls, their recent record has to be a positive sign that things are trending in the right direction.  With the various early season controversies beginning to fade in the rearview, perhaps there are signs of growth on the horizon.  Early power rankings have not favored the Bulls so far this season, but if they can continue to string together wins with regularity, it will only be a matter of time before the league takes notice.  

Lauren Lambert for VHL.com

Claimed for week of 01/28/24

Edited by LucyXpher

Good media spot, it was really interesting and a great read for me. The part about the cold front was spot on as even though it may be cold for Houston for many of our Canadian players and Canadian readers it would be normal late fall weather. Secondly the bulls Hot streak has been HOT and you did a great job of showing it and how important it has been to our season as well as our losses that were brutal during this streak. In conclusion it was pretty good 7.5/10.