Alexa, Play "All Star" by Smash Mouth

Fire Tortorella

Somebody once told me.....that the VHL used to have an All Star game! I believe the All Star game was implemented in Season One (though I have no proof or motivation to fact check, so we're just going to roll with it) and was in the league in one way or another until maybe Season 65 or so (and this is another wild ass guess that I have no motivation to fact check). I'm pretty sure we got rid of the All Star game due to lack of interest in watching the sims, simmer burnout concerns, concerns about "bias" in voting, and some other reasons. I would like to bring back the All Star Teams, and if I was in charge again, this is how I would do it.

When Does it Happen?

I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, but I think it looks kind of dumb (like, in the shape of an L on her forehead) to have the All Star game at the end of the season or the playoffs. At these point in the seasons, you either have the playoffs themselves going on, the lottery tournament (if this is still even a thing?), OR you just finished these things and are off to the off-season. If this was during the off-season and actually simmed (more on that later), we wouldn't want that because we want to give our simming friends a break. To me, it makes the most sense to have the All Star game at the halfway point of the season. This is for a couple of reasons:

• Having the All Star game halfway through the season may reward players who have a very good half-season, but the player ultimately isn't good enough to usually be in contention for awards at the end of the season.
  • Gives us something to do before the trade deadline and getting through the "slog" of the season.
  • Tie it into some sort of theme week with "make a case for an under the radar all star player?

Who Decides On the All Stars?

Well, the years start comin' and they don't stop comin', so I'm not 100% on this, but I think this is the "touchiest" point of All Star Games. Historically, I believe the All Star representatives have gone back and forth between GM voting, community voting, and commissioners picking the teams (although that might just have been an old VHLM thing because I definitely remember doing that). If I were in charge, I would leave the entire process up to community voting in order to drive more forum content. At the end of the day, it didn't make sense not to live for fun, so as many people as possible should be involved in this.

Now some of you old timers may be thinking - but don't you remember the BiAs that goes into community voting??? My responses to that would be:

• No voting for members on your own team, or the team that drafted you, etc...
  • My other response would be - who cares this is all for fun.

How is it Simmed/Presented?

So much to do, so much to see, so the answer is...it's not! The players just get recognized as All Stars and that's it. No setting up a separate STHS sim file or something (too big a pain), no simming in NHL 24, EHM, or FHM (an even bigger pain and people didn't really watch).

Not get your game on, go play, and that's a wrap - 500 words.

I remember really early on in my time here, Beav set up teams in NHL and fully customized all the players to do it. He also cranked scoring way up. It was fun to watch for about 5 minutes and I can understand how that wasn't worth the hours of effort.

I didn't love community voting because I felt like sometimes it turned into a popularity contest. I remember one time being FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY because all the members of a specific group were particularly active in voting for each other regardless of numbers. But I guess the NHL has that same issue.

I think voting would have to be similar to the NHL vote with the League having a say in the first players making sure one player from each team is selected so 8 players in each conference, and than open to public voting for the remainder of the rosters. 

Depending on roster size someone is always going to get FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY!!

24 minutes ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

I think voting would have to be similar to the NHL vote with the League having a say in the first players making sure one player from each team is selected so 8 players in each conference, and than open to public voting for the remainder of the rosters. 

Depending on roster size someone is always going to get FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY!!

Yes this was supposed to included but I ran out of time and hit 500 words. The every team gets a rep part, not necessarily the league figuring it out.