All Star game rambling

scoop

First of all, I do not believe the VHL needs an All Star Game. I know we used to have one, and I did not care about it then. Maybe others did, but it was scrapped, so read into that what you will. That being said, there could potentially be some fun to be had. I do not exactly have an idea of what I would like to see. As I said, I do not much care about these festivities. I just care about getting a little bit more TPE, and this is the theme that was chosen for theme week, so I'll just write about some of my ideas that I'm honestly making up as I go.

Let's talk about the timing of the game. I do not think having the festivities at the end of the season makes much sense. If it takes place during the playoffs, then it will always be overshadowed. Honestly, even if it happens after the Finals are over, it will still seem very much like an afterthought. Maybe this is part of why I did not bother with the previous iteration of the VHL All Star Game. I think having the All Star Game take place in the middle of the regular season would be the way to go. Having it in the midst of theme week seems like a poor decision, so I think we would want to put it a couple weeks prior.

Now that I've gone over the when, let's take a look at the what. A traditional game between the two conferences is rather boring, but whatever. That could just be part of the festivities. I'm imagining a full week of games, one each day. Of course, this would go on concurrently with the VHL regular season, because we do not need to extend the regular season. In addition to a North America versus Europe game, we would need six more games to come up with. Two of those days could be for a traditional All Star Game for the two minor leagues. That leaves us needing four games, and these could be anything, really. Honestly, I think these games would be where the real fun would be in all of this.

In addition to the three traditional all star games, we need to fill four novelty game slots each season. These could vary from season to season, based on what rosters could be filled out. I like the idea of a game between two VHL draft classes. I think there is a bit of pride in being a part of a strong draft class, but you are also rivals with each other in a way. Another idea would be to put a team of VHL rookies against the players that are in their final season. Or maybe the rookies take on the VHLE all stars. I would also love to see just how badly a team of the VHL's best could dominate a team of VHLM players. Having a game for the retired players, getting to see those names back in action is usually fun. These are just some ideas, and I'm sure there are many more possibilities.

Anyway, that's just an idea, and probably not a great one. It definitely seems like more effort than it would be worth.