Running With the Bulls: Tending to Controversy

LucyXpher

rwtb.thumb.png.0eba4dab42c4f299816cf13ec0189b94.png

There has been a whirlwind of news and controversy coming out of Houston throughout the early goings of this VHLM season.  At the eye of the storm, seemingly, is Bulls' goaltender, Ondrej Vencko @Mutti.  A native of Czechia playing his first season in the US, reports have linked Vencko to the arrest of Valtr Bily, a known fugitive of Czechia.  Bily was arrested in the Bulls' arena parking lot in possession of one pound of crystal clear methamphetamine mere hours after Vencko's arrival in Houston, triggering a flurry of speculation tying the two together.  Vencko himself seemed to fan the flames with some of his own eccentric behavior and commentary, further intensifying the media storm that began to descend on the young Bulls.  Today, I had the opportunity for an exclusive interview with Vencko, hopefully to clear the air, shed further light on some of his puzzling remarks, and to give a voice to the polarizing character who has captured the attention of the Houston faithful in a short amount of time.  

༺ ༻

Lauren Lambert: Hello Ondrej-- or Ondra? I've heard you prefer to be called Ondra?

Ondrej Vencko: You've heard so right. You see, Ondrej is rather formal and is associated with a meme popular with millennials in Czechia. So I prefer the more "normal" form. [he chuckles]

Lambert: How are you?

Vencko: Pretty good, how are you?

Lambert: I am doing well, thank you for asking, and thank you for giving us this time today. I understand the season is in full swing now and I'm sure you've had a lot to deal with, on and off the ice.  I think this could be a good opportunity, though, for the hockey world to get to know you a little bit-- who you are as a player, but more importantly, who you are as a person.  And I guess, before anything else, we should address the elephant in the room, and that is the speculation about your substance abuse-- particularly drug use, and possible connection to an arrest that was made in the Bulls' arena parking lot.  So let me just ask you: Do you now, or have you ever, used hard drugs, specifically crystal methamphetamine?

Vencko: I think that some fans or haters, even, will get an answer for two questions at once, that is, my personality will be viewed based on my experience with drugs. Right? Well, let's get it sorted, then. I never did hard drugs. I loathe hard drugs. If someone wants to destroy themselves with that crap, well be my f---ing guest, but I ain't joining. Oh-- sorry for the language. 

Lambert: No worries, now let me ask you this: Have you ever met or corresponded with Valtr Bily in any kind of capacity?

Vencko: I've never met or in other way communicated with that man. It was an ugly coincidence that a fellow Czech does this insanity in the same city where I want to start my pro hockey career. But then again, there are a lot of Czechs in the States, and not only hockey players. They are trying to make a living and to leave a mark, you know, and this idiot comes and just ruins our reputation. I hope he gets deported or he rots in jail, I don't care what-- but no mercy.

Lambert: Okay, and here's another one for you: Have you ever actively participated in the sale or distribution of any kind of illegal substance?

Vencko: I have never bought or sold anything illegal, per se . . . if you count alcohol, well . . . I bought some beers when I was underage and I did smoke some pot. But it's nothing for me and in Czechia, no one is really stoked when you smoke weed. It's as if you were to try and flex with smoking cigarettes. You'll look like an idiot. 

Lambert: Have you been in contact with the authorities in any capacity regarding the arrest of Valtr Bily?

Vencko: Yeah, they asked me basically the same questions as you did. They didn't find any reason to investigate me further.

Lambert: It's no secret that the blowback from this speculation and controversy has resulted in some vile things being said online and I've heard some jeering and boos from the crowd at games.  How do you deal with this negativity, and what would you like to say to people who might doubt your character, or who might be assuming the worst about you?

Vencko: You know . . . it was really hard to deal with such accusations. My private life also suffered a bit because of all this. My girlfriend faced hostilities anywhere she went, once she was called a "hooker groupie". That was kind of a boiling point, at which I nearly killed that a--hole when I found out. Luckily, my girl always knows how to calm me down, so . . . I opted for this interview instead. Which I am grateful to be part of, so my thanks go to you, Lambie. May I call you Lambie?

Lambert: That's a new one, but sure, I don't mind. And just going back to some of those comments, I must say, that's awful to hear and I can only imagine it's very difficult to deal with that, especially when it's directed at a loved one.  Now, I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but I think some people will be asking the question, do you feel at all responsible for some of this negative response in light of some of your actions and comments?  Do you think you could have been more tactful in what you said to the media and how you acted in public?  

Vencko: Of course I could have been more tactful. But my nerves aren't really . . . strong. And my patience overflows rather quickly, especially when it influences the ones close to me. That is just unfair.

Lambert: You made some interesting-- some might say provocative-- comments about alcohol in the past. Maybe you'd like to just clear the air, what is your stance on alcohol usage? Do you actively consume alcohol during official team practices or games?

Vencko: [laughs] No! After practice or game, sure. But not before or during-- no. I joked about it because of Czech Republic's reputation when it comes to litres of beer drank per capita per year. Interesting stats, I'm telling ya.

Lambert: So this is your first season in Houston-- your first season in America-- how has that experience been so far?  Has there been a culture shock at all? And how do you get along with your teammates so far?

Vencko: Well, not really a shock. I mean, some things are different, sure. But I enjoy learning new stuff. Plus the chemistry we got in the team is amazing. It just strengthens your motivation and will to do your best. The US themselves . . . interesting country to live in, for sure. But Houston itself is really pleasant.

Lambert: What do you value most in a teammate? And how do those values translate to how you conduct yourself in the locker-room and on the ice?

Vencko: I think I value cooperation and an open mind the most. Those attributes create a thriving dynamic, which then translates into a really passionate game. And as I said, my teammates are simply the best ones I could have wished for. All of them are brave, funny, and clever guys with clear minds and uh . . . yeah. I genuinely dig this team. Especially defensemen, I mean, they are so brave, man . . . Blocking shots like lunatics! Sometimes, I feel like I am not necessary. [he laughs]

Lambert: For those who may not be from here or who aren't aware, there is a fairly significant Czech community in Houston.  Is this something you've been able to experience yet? 

Vencko: Not that much, really, no. Only a few guys from said community came to some of our practices and we had a cute little chat. I believe that this will be vastly different later on, though-- especially if we can make an impact in the playoffs. You know, you haven't seen passionate hockey fans if you haven't seen Czech hockey fans. That's something to look forward to.

Lambert: In a recent article by Ben Icio del Toro, it was revealed that you may be seeing someone.  Now, I obviously want to respect her privacy, and yours as well, but I do want to ask you about a comment you made in this recent article.  You said, and I quote, “This girl? That’s my fortune. My secret for my agility. You know, couple of hours of 'exercise' per week does the trick!”.  Maybe without getting into too much detail, would you like to clarify this statement?  What does this person mean to you? Again, I'm not asking you to reveal too much, but maybe just to show a bit of your human side for those who might be reading.

Vencko: Ah, Benny really released it? Nah, I'm joking, I know about it. Ahem . . . you know, it was supposed to be this over-the-top, commercial-like GF description . . . so I said something similar to the things you quoted and we had a lot of fun with Ben. But truth is that yeah, I have been seeing someone for 7 months now and I am happy as ever with her! She is really helpful when I feel down, she motivates me to move forward and to keep working on myself, and she gives me all the love and care I need. It also helps that we share our needs, as she's Czech as well. So we were "shocked" by Houston together. [he laughs]

Lambert: Well, Ondra, I think it's fair to say that a lot of Houstonians were shocked by some of the early season news coming out of the Bulls' locker room, especially as it pertains to you.  I think that hearing from you today will help clear the air for people and will hopefully be the end of any hostility you may have experienced online or at games.  Thank you for taking the time with us today and good luck the rest of the way!

༺ ༻

After a shaky start, Vencko has been finding his game as of late. And though his numbers could still stand to improve at .885% and 3.18 GAA, his 18-12-3 record seems to be a better reflection of his ability to help his team win on a nightly basis.  

Going into the trade deadline, the Houston Bulls are coming off of a bit of a cold stretch having dropped 5 of their last 6 games, but are hoping that their most recent win against their nemesis, the San Diego Marlins, will be a sign of things to come.  The team has never looked better on paper this season and many of the Bulls' top skaters are really coming into their own as top-flight minor-pro players.  Furthermore, the Bulls boast a solid secondary scoring punch and a very deep lineup with quality contributors all the way down to the 4th line and 3rd defensive pair.  It is also rumored that GM @AJW is not finished tinkering with his team yet as he looks to be wheeling and dealing at the trade deadline to strengthen his roster even further with more proven talent.  With any luck, we'll have more to report on that front very soon!

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

Lauren Lambert for VHL.com (1930 Words)

Claimed by LucyXpher for 02/11/24  (1148 Words)

All of Vencko's responses written by @Mutti
Claimed by Mutti for 02/11/24 (782 words)

Edited by LucyXpher

9 minutes ago, Mutti said:

I loved this collab so much!

I can't wait for future ones!

Lauren is such a great person to talk to.

Likewise!  Vencko is a super fun personality and a great interview every single time!