Running With the Bulls: Tempting Fate...

LucyXpher

rwtb.thumb.png.0eba4dab42c4f299816cf13ec0189b94.png

In Pamplona, Spain, there's a long-standing tradition of running bulls through the streets of the city.  Originally serving the practical purpose of moving the animals in from the country side to the city for sale, the tradition-- which began around the 13th century-- eventually evolved into a festival where members of the general public would run through the streets ahead of the bulls.  While the running no longer serves any practical purpose, it continues annually and still attracts people from around the world, especially the thrill seeking types.  Sadly, for those who tempt fate, the bulls claim lives every year and the festival has drawn criticism for being barbaric and dangerous.

I'm not here to moralize for or against the practice which has endured in Spain for generations, but I do want to draw a comparison.  There's an old adage, "When you mess with the bull, you get the horns."  There are natural consequences for certain risks.  Anyone choosing to willingly run through the streets with bulls should at least consider the potential for being seriously injured or even killed.  It's a harsh reality, but what else could you expect from a frenzied herd of horned beasts? 

Bugs Bunny Wtf GIF by Looney Tunes

@Pifferfish Jorgen Lovstrom (above)

This brings me to the title of this article, my last article on the Season 92 Houston Bulls-- tempting fate.  This season's Bulls team lived up to the ferocity of the animal on their crest.  This was a physical team that loved to throw the body and punish their opposition physically.  During the playoffs alone, the Bulls led the league in hits with 294 in 12 games.  This style of play comes with its upside in that it can force an opponent to play tentatively, constantly looking over their shoulders to see where the next charging bull is coming from.  The Bulls also led the league in penalty minutes with 159, and herein lies the drawback and inherent risk of a high level of physical play, especially if it becomes reckless and undisciplined.  This season's Bulls were constantly straddling that line.  Sometimes their physical play was a dominant feature of their team game and it created space for their more skilled players to create offense.  In other cases, the physicality got away from them and produced some unwanted consequences and unfortunate results.  

Game 6 of the Founder's Cup Semi-Final against the Philadelphia Reapers was an example of just that.  Despite being out-hit, 30-25, the Bulls took 10 penalties.  In a game of fine margins that the Bulls were in until the end, all it took was the Reapers converting on 1 of those 10 powerplay attempts to seal the game and the series, punching their ticket to the finals.  It's an unfortunate outcome for a Houston team that has grown so much over the span of the 72 game season.  The disappointment in the Houston locker room after the loss was more than apparent as the team had full buy-in and belief in the process that they had committed to from day one.  A loss like this can certainly shake belief and cause a team to become demoralized after leaving everything on the ice, and that in itself is a tempting fate. 

Fate is a cruel mistress and a cunning temptress.

Lil Kim GIF

It's all too easy to become overly fixated on what went wrong and why things didn't work out on the ice.  Sometimes that negative mindset is even appealing.  It can feel good to vent, or complain, or blame, or cry, or feel like the whole world is conspiring against you to see your demise.  I think it's healthy to allow oneself to experience such emotions after suffering a loss-- but not to allow them to linger indefinitely.  The Houston Bulls have so much to be proud of and this season can only be called a success, despite their failure to cap it off with a Founder's Cup.  Going from a team with only 4 players on the roster after the VHLM dispersal draft, to the team with the most contributing roster players and the consensus top team on paper is nothing short of remarkable.  The Bulls' general manager, @AJW deserves a tremendous amount of credit for his role in building the team and the culture around the locker room.  He should undoubtedly be in consideration for GM of the Year for his efforts and results, though he'd humbly credit the players for their hard work and determination.  What cannot be disputed is the effort of this group as a whole, from their GM AJ, AGM @Nathan_8, and every one of their players who contributed to the positivity of the team, both on and off the ice.  This kind of positivity is what will help propel many of these players to long and successful VHL careers as they move on from the Bulls next season-- it's the good habits and friendships that combat the temptation of thinking all is lost.

Club Penguin Dancing GIF by Pudgy PenguinsSad Cry Me A River GIF by Pudgy PenguinsClub Penguin Dancing GIF by Pudgy Penguins

For many of these Bulls players, this is only the beginning of their career, and despite a crushing defeat, they have so much further to climb and work towards.  A Founder's Cup, while a fantastic achievement, is not the pinnacle of the sport and only represents a goal along the path toward the top.  Sure, every player in the VHLM wants to win it, but how many players would truly be satisfied playing in the VHLM, forever chasing that goal?  The M is a transitional league to help develop the skills of players coming from junior divisions, to prepare them for the rigors and competition of the higher pro ranks. While it's a great goal to win at every level, in the grand scheme, the goal of VHLM players is to start their career out on the right foot, and the Houston Bulls as a collective have really embodied that competitive spirit of practice and growth.  There are so many players on this roster who began the season with little to no experience.  Through hard work, collaboration, and dedication, so many of them have developed into top prospects in the upcoming VHL and VHLE drafts.  It's truly a testament to the success of the the Bulls management group and developmental support system which has enabled their players to grow in leaps and bounds.  So while it's a disappointing end to a thrilling playoff run, the Bulls had already won-- sure, maybe not on the scoresheet, but some things are bigger than a scoresheet.  

Drama Monkey GIF

(Lauren Lambert has come unstuck in time) Look, maybe this is just me writing my way though a heartbreaking loss, trying to come to terms with what comes next.  I'm a melodramatic artist and I'm coping, okay?!  Oh, you thought I was an unbiased journalist who just reported the facts? That's funny... I guess I don't value professionalism enough to leave my allegiances at the door when I start writing an article.  Well, now you know...

Fuck It Jennifer Lawrence GIF by AbsoluteRadio

When you mess with the bull, you get the horns... but there's another saying, "Grab the bull by the horns".  When facing adversity or risk, sometimes the best strategy is to attack the problem, to face it head on, to get up close and personal with danger and conquer it.  While this offseason may have come sooner than Houston would have hoped, they have an opportunity to put this time to good use, for players to continue developing, and to use this loss as motivation for future goals.  There is a lot to be excited for with the VHL Draft coming up this offseason, the Victory ProAm, the Junior Showcase Tournament, and the World Junior Championships right around the corner.  There are plenty of reasons for this Bulls squad to bounce back and get refocused-- re-motivated-- to continue working towards their ultimate goal of playing at the highest level. 

Fox Tv GIF by Lucifer

I, for one, will be following these players closely, though it's with a heavy heart that I move on from regular coverage of the Houston Bulls.  It's been a fantastic run with the Bulls this season, full of drama and excitement on and off the ice.  Wherever I end up next, I know I will always look back fondly on this past season as it was remarkable and gratifying in so many ways.  Thanks to all who have been reading me faithfully and I look forward to bringing you more VHL/E/M articles in the near future.  Until then, keep running!

Lauren Lambert for VHL.com

claiming intoxication until next season...

Saturday Night Live Drinking GIF by Global TV

Edited by LucyXpher

Wonderful article can't wait to see Lucy Leitner in the VHLE as well as all the Bulls making jump and my former teammates on Saskatoon and Vegas let's all reach for the top of every league we're in and make each other the best we can be!

38 minutes ago, Noodle Enjoyer said:

Wonderful article can't wait to see Lucy Leitner in the VHLE as well as all the Bulls making jump and my former teammates on Saskatoon and Vegas let's all reach for the top of every league we're in and make each other the best we can be!

Thanks! Can't wait to see where we all land! Gonna be fun coming up with such a great group!