At Season's End, Bucatini Leaves Houston with Praise

:hou:

Houston -- It was a season of ups and downs for Italian center Antonia Bucatini. It started on a Halifax team that, while rebuilding, couldn’t quite much going in the win column. Then at the trade deadline, Bucatini was traded to a Houston team with a lot of energy, a lot of hope, and soon after a lot of winning. There was high expectations entering the playoffs, but in the end, it all came crashing down with a semifinals loss to the eventual champion Philadelphia Reapers.

A roller coaster, that’s how Bucatini put it. But does she think she’s worse off for the ride?

“I wouldn’t change a thing,” Bucatini told reporters at the Bulls’ post-season media debrief. “There’s a lot that’s happened this past season, more than I would have ever thought possible. But through the ups and downs, I think I’ve learned – and I’ve also made a few friends.”

Bucatini has spoken publicly before about how she has enjoyed playing in such a vibrant environment like the one in Houston. And even now, as the team’s players are set to go their separate ways, she’s hopeful that future locker rooms will take cues from what she just experienced.

“It’s just the starting line for so many of us in the VHLM, and that’s true for more people than ever before,” she added. “I’m aware it’s a long career and that people fade away. But it’s my sincere hope that locker rooms everywhere are able to engage people like Houston, Miami and some of the other top VHLM clubhouses have this year. Because so many people active and on board makes things more fun for everybody.”