Thoughts as a GM - Season 93 Media Spot

JCarson

A little while ago I wrote a media spot discussing media spots, or how I like to make the process easier by selecting a theme that I can build on each week. I threw out some options that I was thinking about. Since then, I have taken on the position of GM of the VHLM Mexico City Kings which has helped me make the selection. For season 93 I am going to do a Media Spot series focused on my thoughts as a GM. Specifically, this media spot is going to be focused on my introduction to the draft and how I am sorting through things.  

Thought 1 – Scouting 

Scouting is the process of identifying various individuals who can be drafted and trying to gather information from them that will help you in the process of selecting people for your team. The thought patterns are divided into 2 main camps. First, will the player accept being drafted by your team and be willing to play for your team? This is mainly an issue with recreates who may have either prior bad feelings about a team or maybe trying to play for every team and you would be a duplicate. Secondly, will the player be around for the entire season and build at a rate high enough that they will be of value near the end of the season. This is mainly an issue with First Generation players who may not have fully committed to the VHL experience. 

Thought 2 –Strategy 

Like any process where you must make decisions and potentially react to other GM decisions it is important to have a strategy. What positions are most important? How do you evaluate Recreates against First Generation players? How will certain individuals fit in the locker room? What positions do you fill with higher TPE players up front and which positions do you allow individuals to grow into? Which positions do you leave for waiver claims later? How do you evaluate current TPE growth against your ability to draw growth out of players, or the ability to teach them to grow? 

Thought 3 –Draft Day Trading 

The draft is set from a perspective of picks and order but that doesn’t mean changes can’t occur. When do you initiate a trade to move up or down the draft to try to acquire a stronger position or to ensure a specific pick? How do you respond to people looking to change draft picks? Do you trade within the draft year, or do you move out to future years to improve your draft position there? 

Thought 4 – How the hell do I actually do this? 

There is an entire piece of this that relies on the ability to use the technical programs to do a draft and to be honest being a player does not help with that portion of the VHL. I have watched the draft presentation many times, but you just see names pop up on a screen, you don’t see how they get there. Outside of all the aspects related to drafting is the issue of inputting decisions into a system and making a pick.