Hello (Again) Europe! Love, Antonia

The beautiful Oslo skyline

Antonia Bucatini, in Europe Once Again

When Antonia Bucatini moved to North America to play in the VHLM, it was the biggest move of her life. Born and raised in Italy, she had traveled around Southern Europe and the Mediterranean to play in junior tournaments, sure, but she didn’t know what to expect in beginning her professional career.

As it turned out, Halifax was like another world. On the water just like her native Rome, sure, but different culturally in every way. Halifax wasn’t particularly prone to late afternoon meals, to late night travels on a vespa, to exploring different cultures with a heavy tourist season. Not bad at all, Bucatini would say, just different.

Then after a late season trade, Houston was a different animal altogether. She was used to the heat, sure, but not necessarily the humidity. The sprawl of Houston also proved to be a barrier - for someone who loves walking down to the corner to get a coffee, unless she was right downtown, the massive highways and the need to drive everywhere seemed like a different world.

But now, Bucatini is returning to Europe. Sure, Oslo isn’t Rome, not by a long shot. The Norwegian city is colder, its inhabitants more staid, the level of play on the ice higher in the VHLE than the VHLM. Even with those caveats, though, Bucatini believes coming to the Storm is somewhat like home.

“The past season of my life was all hockey, all the time, which has its positives and negatives,” Bucatini said. “I loved my teammates, the play and the fans. But I don’t know that I necessarily fell in love with the cities, if that makes sense. I always had in my head that this would be a one-season thing, so it felt like there was always some distance.”

It was noted by the press and fans alike that, soon after the season ended, Bucatini absconded back to Europe and the beaches of Italy - with fellow Italian player Gianfranco Del Rocco, no less. Now, following the VHLE Draft, she is back on the continent full-time. Granted, Oslo is likely to be a one season thing for Bucatini as well. However, following Oslo will be Davos - another cold-weather European city, with fans that love their hockey and a whole host of things to do and people to see. Sure, it may not be near loved ones located in Rome (or perhaps Vasteras?), but those are a shorter flight away as well.

Walking into the practice facility for training camp for the first time as a member of the Storm, Bucatini said she felt at peace for the first time in a while. She sees Norway and Switzerland becoming a new home that she can get used to, as she adjusts to the new rigors of the VHLE, and following it, the VHL.

“I thought becoming a professional in the first place was tough, but it doesn’t get any easier from here. What can really help my play on the ice, though, is being a bit more settled off the ice,” Bucatini said. “But now I’m close to friends and family. My future VHL home is a short bit away. And my personal life is starting to blossom in ways that I never had given much thought to. I think this is going to be a good season for me, in all ways. Oslo: Bring it on.”