A day in the life of the Mexico City Kings GM - My initial thoughts on the Draft

JCarson

Life as the GM of the Mexico City Kings 

This season’s media spots are going to be a series related to things I experience as the new GM of the Mexico City Kings. I am writing this as of March 17, 2024 (Happy Saint Patrick’s Day). 

The focus of this specific media spot will be on the Draft itself which occurred on March 16 ,2024, and the aftermath. I went into the draft having 1 center and 1 defender already on the team. So, as I was planning for the draft, I had to set some priorities. My first priority was another reliable defender, my second priority was a goalie, and my third priority was a second center. I figured if I could get those 3 things, I could then use my remaining picks to build around those pieces and flush out a competitive team. 

As luck would have it there were several exceptionally reliable defenders available in the draft. Picking eighth I did watch a couple of individuals I had my eye on leave before I got to draft, so when it became my turn, I picked the highest TPE defender available which also happened to be my player Felicia Hardy. It was not my plan to pick my player, but it did allow me to add a strong defensive presence that in some ways I could ignore so that I can position my time more towards helping the other players on my team build for the future. 

The draft continued and again, as should be expected, one of the two goalies I had my eye on was taken. As it came to my second pick at position 18, I quickly snapped up my second target and secured my goalie for the year. I am excited as this goalie looks to be well positioned to be a strong performer throughout their career. 

With my third pick i deviated slightly from my priorities as I could not pass up the player who was available and I am glad I didn’t. On pick 28 I grabbed a steal of a pick with Anthony Simmons II, A strong, good TPE earning, highly discord active RW. I knew they were going to be an excellent choice and the fact that my DM’s lit up with trade offers and congratulations by numerous GMs within minutes of my pick solidified my thoughts. 

After deviating slightly with my third pick I knew I needed to get back to my priority list and with my fourth pick (38 overall) I grabbed my center. Gavin Bebard, an offensive minded center with a great earnings pattern. This meant I had picked up all my expected pieces and now I just needed to fill in the remainder of my lines. 

Pick 48, allowed me to pick up another very reasonable defender who will help create a top line, which currently looks like it will be Chuck E Cheese, returning Kings defender with newly drafted Vanman Stein. Second defensive line will be Felicia Hardy and either a DBot or if lucky a waiver or free agent defender. 

Pick 58 and pick 68 allowed for the addition of 2 up and coming wingers. Owen Two and Matthew Ohl will provide good depth to round out the forward lines. Currently Mexico is sitting with five forwards, so line combinations are going to need to wait until closer to the season start. Hopefully, that will allow me to pick up an additional forward in free agency or through waiver to make 2 full lines. Even if we must start with a Bot, I don’t expect it will be long before that last piece joins the team. 

So, there we have it, the strategy I had in mind going into the draft and how things turned out. I am happy with where things sit in Mexico and believe we have an excellent shot at being a competitive team. 

Review:

I enjoy media spots like this as I don't really follow the M that much and it's even more interesting through the eyes of a GM. The article was spot on detailing your draft picks and why you decided to choose that player. Was interesting to read about your deviation as well and that is always the interesting part when you get to be a GM, is those quick last minute decisions you have to make to make your team better.

To make the article stand out more I would add picture or maybe some color but that's just a visual thing. The actual article was very well written! Best of luck this season as Mexico GM! Rating 9.5/10

Great piece!  I really liked that Simmons II pick for you guys.  It’ll be a fun season with all the GM turnover and interesting to see how everyone does. Best of luck to you!