IHm, if we were to REBRAND - Calgary Wranglers

Calgary Wranglers

My favourite NA team of all time, the Calgary Wranglers. I have many fond memories with Jacques Lafontaine and hope to make a lot more with Raimo Tuominen. The Wranglers have always been a personal favourite of mine. I loved the old logo and I love the new one. Our colour scheme is tried and true; nothing hits just as much as red, white and black. Red is a mainstay for any pro Calgary team. White and black just look great complimenting the aggressive red. So we’re keeping the team colours!

Okay, onto the rebrand part. One of my gripes with the Wranglers name is that it is so cool. It is such a cool name. Wrangler is just such a cool team name AND it is a homage to the Calgary Wranglers that used to play in the WHL. It is such a fantastic concept. So much so… the Calgary Flames AHL Affiliate decided to take the name in 2022-23 when moving to Calgary from Stockton.

Yes, the two Wranglers are very distinct in team colours logo and all that. But man, it is so weird being a Calgary Flames fan and having to double-check which Wranglers team I am conversing about. Like I catch myself talking about the AHL team to my friends and being like “Am I speaking about a fictional VHL team?”.

Now that my rationale for changing the historic Wranglers name has been explaining… may I present you, the VHL’s very own…

Calgary Cowboys!

That’s right, we are taking a trip back in time. The Wranglers played in the Corral in the WHL. I still have my banner from the Corral series when the Hitmen played there for a few games. The other two teams that played in the Corral (aside from the NHL Flames) were the Centennials, who preceded the Wranglers as Calgary’s major junior team. But the name Centennials doesn't make sense to anyone outside of Canada. Only reason they were named that was because Canada turned 100 in their inaugural season. We need something more Calgary-related. So… Cowboys! The Cowboys logo goes hard and a VHL makeover could definitely create an electric Cowboys logo for all to enjoy. The Cowboys were the WHA team that played in the Corral before Calgary got their NHL team. I think this would be a perfect idea for people in Calgary to break out the cowboy hats and cheer their favourite VHL team on. Imagine what a hat trick will look like!

In fact, a rebrand would be perfect for the new arena being built in Calgary. Imagine the Calgary Wranglers now named the Calgary Cowboys coming out in style, cowboy boots and hats in the crowd, and a fresh new design to mark a new era of Calgary hockey. It is perfect. And like the Wranglers name the VHL team currently hosts, it pays homage to the history of hockey in the city.

I will not be mad if the Calgary Wranglers remain as the Calgary Wranglers. In fact, I’ll be super happy if that’s the case.

But if they ever have to rebrand… Calgary Cowboys would be the best option.