Ramblings of a first season GM

JCarson

For those of you who have been following my media spots this season you know that I have been doing a series on my thoughts as a first season GM. It has been an interesting process of learning the behind the process scene activities, getting to know the other GM’s, getting up to speed on discord, and learning to assist individuals in building their player. 

This week’s topic of my GM ramblings is the look ahead to the next season. First things to note is that I made the decision that Mexico was not going to be competitive in the playoffs for season 93 so I took the opportunity to position myself for the season 94 draft. To do that I took most of my top players who were expected to be above 200TPE and would move the VHLE and traded them to playoff contending teams for draft picks.  

There were two pieces that were important to me in the process: 

1. 1) I needed to make sure anyone I moved had the chance to play in the playoffs and potentially contend for the Cup. In that I also made sure that I focused first on all the players that I don’t manage. I never officially put Felicia Hardy on the trade block, but in the deal to move the last player I was hoping to trade, Hardy was asked about, so I made the choice to pick up some additional picks to strengthen Mexico’s draft standings. 

1. 2) Any trade I made had to set Mexico up for success in the future. And more specifically it needed to make Mexico successful in the next two seasons. Yes, I am putting it out there, Mexico is focused on winning the Cup within the next two seasons, the VHLM needs to take us seriously as we are coming hard. 

Beyond the trade deadline I have already started my process of evaluating my current players to see how they will fit into the framework of the future. Currently I have 3 options of players I have drafted that might be around next season. However, I expect it will be only 1 as there are 2 players that are currently over 170tpe so by the time we get to the end of the season and through the offseason they should be moving to the VHLE. 

Outside of my current draft stock I have a few players that I have picked up on waiver as they joined the league. All of them seem very engaged right now, however I can accept that there is the possibility of that changing over the offseason. If I have my way, I will be trying to make sure all of these players remain active over the offseason and as much as possible stay with Mexico. I know that will be difficult to do but it is my goal. Outside that, I plan to target a few key positions in the draft with the goal of creating a strong core that I can then build around.  

So, for now, we do what we can in season 93 and plan for season 94. 

Review

Very consice and a great insight to the thoughts of a VHLM GM.

I'm sure it can be difficult making the decision to rebuild for the future and trading away key pieces of the team. On the other hand, it shows that you are preparing preparing for the long term and understand the best way to do that for your team.

I look forward to seeing more like this as we get closer to the draft and beyond.

9.5/10