Before the Jump to the VHLM

der meister

Now formally eligible for the VHLM Entry Draft, Ukrainian-born winger Konstyantyn Shevchenko's schedule appears to have ramped into full swing. It has been reported that Shevchenko has already received several requests from VHLM scouts and managers for virtual meetings ahead of the draft. Shevchenko himself has been a popular topic for many sports columnists in Austria and the surrounding countries, with many playing amateur prognosticator and trying to predict his draft position. Despite the current climate in Ukraine, he's also received some hype from his homeland, with the nickname Rocket from Rokhmaniv gaining in popularity. His goal scoring prowess has been on frequent display in recent weeks, as evidenced by his 9 goals in the past 6 games for the Vienna Capitals.

With a month or so until the VHLM Entry Draft actually takes place, Shevchenko's desire to leave his mark on a bigger stage is evident. It's said he's been spending more and more time in the weight room, working on both bulking up for the next stage of his career and trying to improve on his cardio. Shevchenko is not the best skater in the ICE Hockey League by any stretch - frankly, he's probably average - but average in the ICE Hockey League is certainly below average in the VHLE, maybe even in the VHLM, so if he wants to be a star at the next level, he'll need to improve on that for sure.

In yesterday's post-practice media scrum, however, Shevchenko chose to focus his attention on the charitable organization run by his parents, Viktor and Yulia. The charity aims to assist Ukrainian families cross the border into Austria, at least on a temporary basis, to protect them from the invading Russian forces.

"My parents do not pay themselves with the money raised by their foundation," Konstyantyn revealed. "Any money that I have made playing hockey with Vienna has gone to supporting them and this cause, which all three of us believe in. I was lucky enough to find an exit for myself and my parents because of my hockey ability, but not everyone in Ukraine has that option. As this illegal invasion drags on, it is more and more important to me to do what I can to help the people of my country."

02_000_VL1JH-800x520.jpg

Even before the invasion, border crossing was a process.

The upcoming VHLM draft class looks to be a strong one, so Shevchenko will have his work cut out for him to stand out above the rest. That pressure doesn't seem to be affecting him in the slightest, however. "Of course I want to be well thought of in the Draft, and I want to go to whichever team selects me and help them win a championship. There is no pressure put on myself to be a savior for a hockey team, though. Hockey is fun, a game that I happen to be good enough at to make money. The real pressure is on those families who are afraid every day because their cities and their homes are being attacked. Compared to that, what kind of pressure do I have? What do I have to complain about in my life? Whether I go first overall or one hundred and first, I'm going to step onto the ice next season and do my best to be a difference maker on the ice, and then use that attention to help the people of Ukraine."