Random Draft Position Stat Dump Thingy

Posted (edited)

With the VHLM Draft in the books, I thought it would be interesting to do a bit of a data examination into winners of the VHL's Scotty Campbell Trophy, awarded to the player deemed the most valuable player during the regular season, with a cross reference of their draft position. I've never done a media spot like this so I'm not exactly sure how to count it, and I only went back as far as the launch of the VHLE, just to have a "modern era" time frame.

Season Player VHL Draft Position VHLE Draft Position VHLM Draft Position
80 Duncan Idaho 3rd n/a 3rd
80 Taro Tsujimoto 9th n/a 4th
81 Justin Lose 26th n/a 18th
82 Taro Tsujimoto 9th n/a 4th
83 Saku Kotkakoivu 3rd 2nd 5th
84 Duncan Idaho 3rd n/a 3rd
84 Nico Pearce 10th  64th 3rd
85 Jerome Reinhart 3rd n/a 57th
86 Daniel Janser 8th 9th 36th
86 Dusty Wilson 44th 29th 64th
87 Sirdsvaldis Miglaskems 2nd 8th n/a
88 Xavier Booberry 1st  23rd 6th 
89 John Jameson 2nd 1st n/a
90 Todd Cooke 27th  20th  10th 
91 Scotty Sundin 1st  n/a 1st 
92 Merome Dilson 10th  5th  6th 

As far as analyzing the data, at a cursory look it would appear that the VHL's MVP can come from anywhere in the draft, with an expected bias toward first round selections. To add a bit of further detail, here are the average draft spots of those MVPs:

Average (VHL) Average (VHLE) Average (VHLM)
10 17.8 15.7

Can we extrapolate anything from this? Well, not much, thanks to a small sample size and a few obvious outliers (looking at you, Dustin Wilson and Nico Pearce). Perhaps the most interesting thing here is that there are two 1st overall VHL selections who went on to win the Campbell - Scotty Sundin and Xavier Booberry - and twice as many 3rd overall selections who won the Trophy - Jerome Reinhart, Duncan Idaho twice, and Saku Kotkakoivu. 

giphy.gif

Maybe the biggest takeaway I got from looking at this data is that VHLE draft position is an absolute wildcard. A number of these future MVPs either opted out of going to the VHLE altogether, or were so obviously going to bypass the VHLE due to their development that VHLE General Managers didn't bother to take them until considerably later as a shot in the dark pick, see Nico Pearce at 64th overall and Xavier Booberry at 23rd overall. 

When I sat down to write this week's article, I didn't intend on doing a data analysis, so apologies to anyone who feels deprived of my normal weekly storytelling exercises; I fully anticipate returning to the regularly-scheduled tale-spinning next week. Either way, I hope someone other than myself found this interesting.

Edited by der meister