TSN 1040 AM - VHL Season 94 Training Camp Spotlight: Rip Wheeler

ScottyP

TSN 1040 AM - VHL Season 94 Training Camp Spotlight: Rip Wheeler

Host: Welcome back to TSN 1040 AM Training Camp Radio! Today we've got a very special guest joining us live from the Wolves' practice rink - it's the one and only, Rip Wheeler! How's training camp treating you this year, Rip?

Rip: What’s up brother?! ☝️(Tuesday! Tuesday!)…man’s, It's always a grind out here ya know uh, but that's what gets you ready for the season, right? You know uh, Frank is pushing us hard, but that's what we need. Iron sharpens iron baud, ya know? We've uh, got a some new faces in the, uh locker room this year me included, and uh, so building that chemistry with the boys is a big focus.

Host: That's a great point. You guys brought in some big names this offseason including yourself. How do you think that will impact the team dynamic?

Rip: First off, ya know, I gotta give a special Rippy Dubs shoutout! Damn!…what a huge pick up in the draft, Bollos de Trueno…aka the baker, aka buns of thunder! What a beauty! Excited to uhh, watch him destroy the E and be up with the big club in no time!

Second buddy, I’m well known as a “T-Triple G”... that’s “Team Guy, Glue Guy” for those that don’t uh, know…yeah, so The boys had a good thing going last season, but you uh, ya know uh, in this league, you gotta have a short memory. I know uh, ya know uh the new guys are gonna bring that dougie fresh energy baud! It's going to be legit to see how it all comes together. And I personally, ya know uh I can’t wait to get out there and do what I do! 

Host: Speaking of new energy, there's been a lot of buzz around last year’s rookie of the year runner up, Logan Ninefingers. What kind of impression has he made on you veterans?

Rip: Ol’ Niners got some serious talent, and he’s not afraid to ya know uh, throw his weight around for the boys. He's got a knack for putting the puck in the net. But what's really impressed me is his work ethic. He’s a total rat to play against, and I’m, you know I’m happy to uh, not have to muck it up against him this year! He doesn't shy away from the battle areas, even going up against guys twice his size, and guys with all ten fingers! He’s a dog, straight up…he wants to win, he uh, ya know wants to bang and uh, that's the kind of attitude that's contagious.

Host: We all saw the highlight clip of him going toe-to-toe with you in practice the other day. Any pointers for the young guy?

Rip: Someone leaked that out huh?! Well first baud, I don’t think “toe to toe” is super accurate…he wanted the smoke, and now he knows…I look at him like a little brother ya know? But uh, yeah a little healthy competition never hurt anyone! And uh ya know, Logan has got all the tools. Just needs to keep his head down, nose to the grindstone, one day at a time and uh work hard, and listen to the coaches and the boys in the room. 

Host: Shifting gears a bit, you've are quickly becoming a fan favorite here in Vancouver…What's your relationship with the city like?

Rip: Vancouver has been nothing but good to me. The fans here are incredible, a riot really. Don’t think I’ve paid for a beer since I’ve been here! They're loud, they're uh, ya know passionate, and they know their hockey for sure. They make coming to the rink every day, even for practice a a wild experience. We uh, owe it to them to bring home that, uh Continental Cup trophy home! 

Host: I see what you did there Rip…moving on, which brings us to the upcoming season. What are your expectations for the Wolves this year?

Rip: We've got a bunch of ya one uh, talent in the room…a deep roster, and a hunger to win. The Frenchmen is a total stud, we also got Oaksie, Laz, Marty and Niner up front…all gamers…Slates, Gavi, Lefty, Cally on the back end, ya know, studs in their own right…and with Dalker in between the pipes, what a beauty!…feels ya know uh, almost like an all star team! Lots of credit goes to the brass, Frank and Gaikoku-hito…this guys really put together a group that’s built to win. This year, ya know uh, up and down the roster, we're coming in with a championship mentality. Season 94, ya know, it won't be easy, but we're ready to put in uh, the hard work to uh, be the last team standing at the end. 

Host: Sounds like a confident bunch in that locker room. We are excited to see what the Wolves can do this season. Thanks for joining us today, Rip, and best of luck on the ice!

Rip: Thanks for having me baud, i always love talking to my fans, even you hosers in the media..Now, if you'll excuse me, Logan’s taking me out to Earls and the Roxy, the pappys is gonna flow!…Frank told us ya know uh, this is last weekend out before ya know uh, getting back in total grind mode baud! 

894 words total. 
- 600 for Media spot 
- 294 for VHL.com article