Bucatini Fights Fear... of Linemate

:dav:

Davos, Switzerland -- Entering the VHL for the first time, rookie Antonia Bucatini knew there would be some growing pains. But there was one in particular that she didn't exactly expect: a war-loving teammate that has a taste for beer, screaming, and being distinctly terrifying to most people. Especially uncertain young rookies.

When the Dynamo acquired Grimgor Ironhide over the offseason, Bucatini knew it would be an adjustment playing alongside him on a line. "But I just didn't expect the screaming. WARRRGH this and ARRRGH that, I really don't know what he's screaming about half the time," Bucatini says now. "But it makes him happy, so I'm going to grin and bear it."

That mindset has paid dividends so far, with both Ironhide and Bucatini averaging over a point per game while playing together on the first line. In particular, it might have scared Bucatini into passing when she'd normally shoot, given that her assist rate is much higher than it was in the VHLE and VHLM.

Still, playing alongside a brute has its upsides, Bucatini admits. The other team seems to be equally scared, even opening up the ice and skating away in fear when Ironhide just wants to score another hit. The postgame parties also have a more dangerous - and fun - element than Bucatini has ever experienced before.

All in all, while some may have expected her to flinch when Davos announced a one-year (always only one-year) extension for Ironhide earlier today, Bucatini says she's warming to her linemate. "There's something... I don't know, cute about him?" Bucatini asked. "Ok, maybe not cute. But at least not soul-shaking anymore, and I'll settle for that for now."