Pier 21: Season 94 Halifax 21st Team Awards

LucyXpher

Z5imoK2.png

Season 94 saw the Halifax 21st achieve the 2nd best record in their team's history with 121 points on the season-- improving from a solid 106 points and a 2nd place finish in the standings in S93.  The Season 94 team boasted the 2nd best PK in team history at 88.6% on the season, and recorded the 2nd most shots on goal (2687) with the 3rd fewest shots against (1427) in a single season, as well as the 6th most goals for (277) and the 2nd fewest goals agains (127).  All of those marks were the best in the league in Season 94 as Halifax was the class of the field from start to finish in the regular season.  The team's +150 goal differential-- +38 more than the next highest team, the Saskatoon Wild-- really illustrates the dominance of this team all season long. And while the team had some exceptional standout performers, by and large it was success by committee as every player did their part throughout the season to make Halifax a real dominant team every single night.  While the team didn't get the result they were hoping for in the playoffs, there is so much to be proud of this season as the team claimed the the Prime Minister's Cup as the best regular season team for the 3rd time in the team's history and proved over the long regular season that they were the best in Season 94.

And so, with the regualar season and playoffs now in the rearview, we can finally step back and acknowledge the incredible accomplishments of our players who achieved so much as individuals and as a team this season.  Here are the Season 94 Halifax 21st Team Awards!

The Most Improved Player:

This award is for the player who makes the most significant individual improvement over the course of a single season.

It's hard to talk about this player without spoiling it a little, but we're here to give people their flowers so it's not the end of the world.  As our only waiver pickup this season, this player joined the team at only 77 TPE, but finished the season at 167 TPE with points still pending approval!  That's a 90+ TPE jump over the course of the season, which was by far the most on the team and it really showed in his performances as the season progressed.  With 11 goals and 12 assists for 23 points in 70 games, there's a high chance this player will be a top pick in the upcoming VHLM dispersal draft and will be one of the best in the VHLM next season as he reaches his potential for this league.  His willingness to be a good team player and accept his role on the team throughout the season and into the playoffs was also highly commendable.  While his minutes may have been reduced as the season wore on, he continued to remain positive and still pitched in at big moments for the team, highlighted by a game tying and series clinching goal to push Halifax past Philadelphia in game 4 of the first round.

Spoiler

Congratulations to the Season 94 Most Improved Player: Bret Weier @Quanack

Honorable Mention - Boris Bone-Breaker @RileyL

The Leadership Award:

This award is presented to the player who demonstrates qualities of leadership and teamwork throughout the season, building up their teammates in the locker room, posting quality team-related content on the forum, and leading by example through individual dedication and consistency.

It's not always the case that the team's best leader is the team's captain, though it stands to reason that it happens more often than not.  For Halifax, the team's leader, the heart and soul of the team on and off the ice, was their captain.  Playing in his second full VHLM season with Halifax, this player was active in the Halifax locker room practically every day, lifting the spirits of the team in victory and defeat, and keeping the team culture alive through his presence and positivity.  As a player, there were perhaps no harder workers when it came to developing himself and continuing to grow as he currently sits at 337 TPE!  At this rate, it's likely he may only spend one season in the VHLE before rocketing up to the VHL to play for the Toronto Legion.  In the sims, he also played probably the most well rounded game and was the team's best two-way forward, laying out opponents with his huge body, while contributing to the team's offense on a regular basis.  In the playoffs, he was the team's 2nd leading scorer with 17 points and continued to be a positive force for the team in all aspects, even in defeat.  This player led by example all season long and his love and care for the team was obvious in the way he participated in the life of the team.  

Spoiler

Congratulations to the Season 94 Leadership Award Recipient: Dorji Khan @Oddpurplefly

Honorable Mention - Meghan Dancalot @diacope

The Jacob Richard Award (Top Defender):

Jacob Richard holds the franchise's single season assists record with 97 in S80.  He finished that season with 141 total points which is the also the highest mark by a Halifax 21st defender in a single season.  This award is presented to the defender who demonstrates excellence at their position, contributing to the team's success through a strong well-rounded game.

While this player was not the highest scoring defender on the team, with 71 points in 72 games he was certainly no slouch in that regard and brought a lot more to the table to go with that offensive production.  With 213 hits on the season, he was by far the team's most physical player and played a shutdown defensive role for the team, often on the top pairing against other teams' top players, while also contributing heavily to the team's offensive production.  With 90 shots blocked, he ranked 2nd on the team while also ranking 3rd in power-play points, demonstrating his ability to play on both top special teams units.  In the locker room and off the ice, he also remained consistently involved in team activities and was always positive in his contributions.  Not every player needs to be outspoken and loud in the locker room, but this player popping in from time to time really made a difference for the team and did not go unnoticed! That said, he definitely did most of his talking on the ice with his unmatched phyiscal play to compliment a well-rounded two-way defensive game.

Spoiler

Congratulations to the Season 94 Jacob Richard Award Recipient: Boris Bone-Breaker @RileyL

Honorable Mention - Dustin Moore @Maxx

The Bryn Yrwy Award (Top Forward):

Named in honor of Bryn Yrwy, the franchise's all-time leading scorer with 405 points in 288 games with the Halifax 21st, this award recognizes the team's top offensive player. Yrwy also holds the franchise single season points record with 167, and goals with 76-- both in Season 80. Like the Jacob Richard award for defenders, it is presented to the player who plays the strongest and most consistent all-round game at the forward position, contributing to the offensive and defensive success of the team.

While there were certainly many exceptional candidates for this award on Halifax this season, one player stood out over the course of the season and led the team in many important statistical categories.  The winner of this award was the team's top scorer with 113 points, but was also the team's top forward with a +67 rating through 72 games.  He took the most shots on the team with 438 but also had the most blocked shots of all forwards with 19.  He also ranked 3rd on the team in hits with 160, 2nd in power-play points with 22, 1st with 4 penalty kill points, all while only ranking 6th on the team in average ice time.  It's really hard to argue with this player's well rounded contribution to the team over the course of the season and I'm so proud to see how far he's come since he was a free agent signing after going undrafted through 7 rounds in Season 93!  It's an incredible rise from a being a player who was passed over by every team multiple times, to leading the way for Halifax this season as the top forward on the team.  Off the ice, this player's agent continued to be a creative presence around the team as they contributed so much to the locker room again this season with graphics and a playlist project just in time for the playoffs!

Spoiler

Congratulations to the Season 94 Bryn Yrwy Award Recipient: Robin Sierra @ethanjaeda

Honorable Mention - Anthony Simmons II @Starchychaff

The Anton Edvin Award:

Anton Edvin is the Halifax 21st franchise leader in games played with 426-- 138 more than the next highest games played mark.  This award honours a player who has played parts of at least two seasons with the franchise and has exhibited a high level of play throughout their time with the team.

Drafted in the 5th round, 46th overall in the Season 93 draft, this player is yet another great example of someone who worked their way up the lineup over the course of their time with Halifax to become one of the best players on the team and in the league! Over the course of his tenure with Halifax, this player quickly rose from backup goalie, to starter last season as Samuel Wazinski was dropped to inactivity.  Continuing in the starting role again this season, this player has taken his dominance to another level, statistically ranking as the top goalie in the VHLM this season and a favorite to claim league honors for his incredible play.  In only 2 seasons and 121 games, he is the franchise leader in wins with 91 (16 more than the 2nd most). He also ranks 1st in team history with an unbelievable 1.97 GAA, 5th with a .906 SV%, and 2nd with 15 shutouts.  In the playoffs, he remains among the franchise greats with the most playoff wins (16), the 2nd lowest GAA at 2.15, and the most shutouts with 3.  

Spoiler

Congratulations to the Season 94 Anton Edvin Award Recipient: Jon Webber III @Webberj

Honorable Mention - Aanarsi Reingaard @Laine

Season 93 SuperSailor:

This award is like the weekly SuperSailor honor, but is presented to a player who best exhibits SuperSailor qualities throughout the full campaign.  A SuperSailor is involved not only in the locker room as a good teammate, but also on the forums as an ambassador for the team, and also demonstrates effective play on the ice.

Like the leadership award, this was not a difficult winner to choose, which says alot considering how many incredible players Halifax had this season, both on the ice and in the locker room.  This player, in particular, really separated himself as the heart and soul of the team, while also being an incredible player in the sims as well.  Through his daily activity, dedication to the team, drive to earn and grow as a player, and his positivity in all respects, he truly embodied all the qualities of a SuperSailor every week of this season.  I could go on and on, but anyone who spent time in the Halifax locker room or around the team this season will see the merit of this season's SuperSailor.  

Spoiler

Congratulations to the Season 94 SuperSailor: Dorji Khan @Oddpurplefly

Honorable Mention - Robin Sierra @ethanjaeda

And with that, we come to the end of our team awards for this season.  As is the case with all awards presentations, there are incredible players who don't receive awards, but are every bit as worthy of recognition.  With that in mind, I decided to include honorable mentions for each award to show who might've been the runner up in each case.  With such an incredible team this season, it was inevitable that some would remain unacknowledged and I just want you all to know that you were all incredible this season and I'm so proud to have been teammates with each and every one of you for this fantastic run.

On another note-- and this is the second season in a row now-- we say goodbye to our amazing AGM @ace_five_ as he moves on to Mississauga to take over the GM role there!  Congratulations are in order, obviously, but you will be missed in Halifax as you made such an impact as team captain in S93 and as our AGM in S94.  I know you'll go on to do great things with Mississauga and in the VHL, and you will always be welcome in Halifax anytime!  Thank you for all your hard work and dedication for this team, and personally, for being such a great friend and support for me.  It was all very much appreciated and I'm excited to see what the next chapter of your VHL career brings as both a player and a manager!

Thank you again to all the players for your effort and contributions this season and I wish you all the very best as most of you move on with your VHL careers!  I know you'll continue to be amazing players, but also incredible teammates!  This is a season I won't soon forget!

2,200+ Words

7/22/2024

LucyXpher

Edited by LucyXpher

• 4 weeks later...

Review:  This could be one of the best team awards highlights I have seen, especially in the VHLM.  While the VHL teams often have this on clubs I am not sure I have seen such a post about VHLM awards with this much depth. I liked the graphic to start it out with and makes me wish I could do them.  The article itself was amazing with detailed bios for each award as well as an honorable mention listing for each.  I truly feel that this much effort in a VHLM GM for something so simple helps maintain future players in the VHL and keeps them coming back.  At a time when retention of players is so important I feel other VHLM GMs should take note at something as simple as this helps show why the VHL is such a great place. The detail of this is awesome right down to the blue Halifax colors in the text.  Great Job.  10/10