What is wrong with normal chocolate?

jRuutu

BktUMg8.png

While browsing Discord yesterday, I noticed the VHL server has a new banner. I can not say when the banner was added as I usually just check the general section in the server. Perhaps the banner has "always" been there, but now as I clicked the VHL server icon to visit the server I happened to see the banner as the "scrolling thing" was all the way up and not set to general section like it usually is.

As I sit here enjoying a cup of coffee a memory of a similar experience comes to my mind. I remember some years ago I went to buy my favorite chocolate. I don't eat chocolate that often, but I wanted some that day, so I went and got some. To much of my surprise, the chocolate did not taste as good as I remembered. At the time I thought maybe my preferences had changed: "I am too old to be enjoying chocolate like this". I also remember thinking that maybe the memory of the chocolate in my mind was wrong, maybe the chocolate was never that good in the first place, but the urge to have it painted a different "image" in my mind.  Later I learned the company that makes the chocolate did something to the recipe and that is why it did not taste as good. It is still the same chocolate, but also not really.

Comparing the recipe update of the chocolate to the banner update in VHL share similarities. The main question is why was there a need for an update? The chocolate was completely fine without the need to alter the recipe. It was "neutral" chocolate, not some specific flavor that could push some people away from the chocolate, it was not too expensive either, so the chocolate was accessible for everybody, the chocolate was just good old chocolate that you could safely offer to anyone, and it was delicious.  Quite interestingly altering the recipe added a flavor to it, it still tries to be neutral, but it is not. Now the chocolate is a lot closer to many other chocolates. It is not a terrible chocolate by any means, but if you compare the old recipe to the new one, the old recipe is simply better and not because so many, me included, got used to it, but because the old recipe was unique in flavor and thus offered something different than many other chocolates.   

Eventually, enough time will go by and the new recipe will become the "old recipe". Memories created will be around this new recipe. If the company ever goes back to the old recipe perhaps those who will taste the "new" chocolate will think to themselves: "Well this is refreshing, the same wrapper and everything, but the flavor is somehow a lot richer, it's fuller".   Perhaps most will still think it is only chocolate, whatever change is trivial and should not cause strong emotions one way or the other as you are not supposed to eat chocolate every day anyway.

Sounds like if you don't like the flavor of chocolate bar, you could just stop eating it.  Plenty of other brands. 

Is this your way of saying you are quitting the VHL?