the C.G.Y. Janser Story, Part XXXV: A meet up with family

Daniel Janser

2l4QAJM.png

(graphic courtesy of Leandrofg)

Callum is taking the subway with his cousin Eilidh to the JFK airport. 

'Why do I get to hold up the sign again?' asks the young Scot.

'Because you are the pretty one.' is the Swiss defenders reply.

'Thanks, I guess. But why is there a Bronco on the sign and why does it read 'leanfrog'?'

'That is an inside joke, but if he does not take it well he is much more likely to forgive to a pretty face rather than my ugly mug.'

A fellow subway rider interjects: 'Sorry for jumping in to your conversation, but I am a big fan of the Americans. Would you mind taking a selfie with me?'

'Of course we can take a photo. Everything for a fan.'

After the snapshot is taken and posted on social media, naturally the Americans' less than stellar season is discussed.

The New York supporter mentions: 'You know, it is frustrating to have one of the better defences in the league and still being on a rollercoaster the whole season. In the office we go alternating 'We are so back' to 'It's over' after every game night, it is exhausting.'

'That is understandable and I assure you it is as frustrating for us as it is for you. We are working on improving ourselves and get some more consistency into our game. But with Toby and me being very physical we are going to take some penalties every night. Having said that, our penalty killing is the best in the conference. Our powerplay is also among the top five of the league. So I think the special teams are doing a good job. Now we need to fine tune our even strength play and we should be pencilled in for the post-season. At least I hope so.'

'I am sure glad to hear that and good luck for the rest of the season.'

'Thanks, hope we see you on the season end party after a long and successful season. Eilidh, get ready next stop is ours.'

'Aye, ah am ready, ye ken?'

After arriving at JFK airport they wait in the area after the luggage claim for Maverick, Callum's 'cousin', who came here to play against the team from the Big Apple.

'Bom dia, Mav. How was your flight?'

'The flight was okay. I see you could not resist to pull the joke your dad pulled on mine all these years back?'

'Hey if it is funny once, it is funny always. Let me get your bag, we are going to drop you at your hotel and then we make a New York tour. After that, we go to Eilidh's and my place and I make françesinha's. Your mom sent me her recipe.'

'That sounds amazing.' the Menace winger replied. 

After a very thourough tour of lower Manhattan and a very rich dinner, Callum suggests to go for dessert to one of the neighbouring Italian restaurants he was recommended by Mancini, back when he was a rookie in the VHL. Neither Eilidh nor Maverick could resist a genuine gelato or an authentic Tiramisu, and so they ended the day in a little Italian restaurant, where the owner does not or will not speak English and every order has to be made in Italian.

Here are Callum's stats for season S95 so far:

34gp, 5g, 28a, 33pts, +7, 115 PIM, 128 hits, 58sb, 1gwg, 2ppg, 2-0-1 fighting record.

https://vhlforum.com/topic/148844-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xxxi-trudging-on/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/149403-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xxxii-fighting-for-the-playoffs/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/149543-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xxxiii-wildcard-games-sail-ho/

CIA’s Long, Undoubtedly Wrong S95 VHL Mock Draft - Media Spots - Victory Hockey League (vhlforum.com)

https://vhlforum.com/topic/149784-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xxxiv-a-season-summary/

570 words

Edited by Daniel Janser
some spelling errors corrected; punctuation adjusted and heeded Greg_Di's advice to split the text block up a smidge

Review:

Always love media spots from Janser! This one was a fun and interesting one to read about taking the subway to JFK to pickup Maverick! Stories with interactions with fans is great and gets you into the story more. The only feedback I can give for improvement is maybe spacing the sentences/paragraphs out as it looks like one long paragraph which makes it harder to read and stay immersed in the story. Other then that great job! Looking forward to reading more! 9/10