The Truest of Rookies

Aimee

Thanks to @Alex for the idea.

The Truest of Rookies

I thought I would take this Theme Week of Rookie and focus on the top 2 true rookies in the VHL. What do I mean by a true rookie? I mean the first gens who are sitting pretty for the draft. While they will probably struggle to break the top 10 due to every incredible recreate ahead of them in TPE, I still think that these guys are working hard and might be able to earn a good draft spot.

Slava Kovalenko ( @OblivionWalker
D, 6’8”, 218 lbs., Age 19
Current Stats: 40 GP, 20 G, 41A, +14

Kovalenko was selected off of waivers in S94 by the Ottawa Lynx where he had 2 Goals and 7 Assists over 16 games. Obviously, we all know that these stats mean nothing when you’re in for barely half the season and you’re just starting out. But for the draft, Kovalenko was picked up 14th overall by the Mississauga Hounds and continues to play for them. Along with the above stats, Kovalenko also has 3 Game Winning Goals and 8 Power Play Goals. He is certainly proving himself a great player.

OblivionWalker as a member has been max earning with the exception of one week and shows no signs of slowing down. He has produced media spots which have been enjoyable to read and has been participating in Fantasy Zone as well as doing extra point tasks like Biography. I think any team that drafts Kovalenko is going to have an amazing player and an active member to enjoy.

TIJ Davies ( @Mack71)
RW, 5’10”, 205 lbs., Age 17
Current Stats: 40GP, 17G, 19A, -16

Davies was picked up on waivers by the San Diego Marlins in S94 where he had 3 goals and 1 assist over 7 games. Not a big sample size but certainly shows some ability for a new player. For the draft, Davies was selected 18th overall by the Saskatoon Wild and is putting up decent numbers for being on a team that is truly struggling this season. Over 40 games, along with the above stats, Davies also has 1 Power Play Goal. Being on a struggling team as a new player is hard but he seems to really be showing his best in an attempt to boost his own numbers.

Mack71 as a member has also been a max earner since he started. He has created an interesting graphic and has been working hard on Media Spots almost every week. He participates in Fantasy Zone as well as team Press Conferences. I think Mack71 has a lot of potential as a player and as a contributing member to the forum. If you see his Media Spots pop up, make sure to give them a read. 

I think these two rookies have a long way to go before they are ready for their VHL debut but I feel like we are already seeing some hard working members trying to boost their players as best they can. I think this is all we can ask and hope for from our first-gens and I hope they both keep up the good work. I can’t wait to see where they end up and how they fare going forward.

542 words for week ending 9/1/2024