Halifax 21st SuperSailor #19 (S95 Week 4): Kokko Miskinen

LucyXpher

yMtBs7r.png

Another week down and Season 95 continues to be a mixed bag for the Halifax 21st.  The team started fairly strong and put together a winning record through the first half of the season on the back of standout performances by Samuel Wazinski @samthemancub and Mathias Gunnarsson @ThatCanadian, both of whom were traded away in the week leading up to the deadline.  In the week since then, Halifax's record as a team has taken a turn for the worse, dipping again below .500 and the team's goal differential has dropped from a +12 to a -14 in that short span.  There are causes for hope, however, as the team recently signed some quality players off of waivers, most notably 160 TPA goaltender Vladimir Trunov @qripll and 85 TPA defenseman Hugh Neutron @Corco.  With these two new additions, the 21st will be hoping to shore up their defense in time for a final push for a playoff berth and a chance to compete past the 72 game mark.  And while the team has seemed to be in flux throughout the season, they've leaned heavily on the stability of players like Kokko Miskinen @MikkoKoskinensMistress.

Considered by some to be the potential steal of the draft, Kokko Miskinen was selected by Halifax at the end of the 4th round, 40th overall.  While Miskinen might've been overlooked by managers due to perceived developmental stagnation, this has not been an issue for Miskinen so far in Halifax.  Through 4 weeks of the season, Kokko has developed into a 153 TPA player-- the highest rated skater on this Halifax roster-- and is the team leader in points through 56 games with 26 goals and 32 assists.  For a player who's consistency was in question at the time of the draft, ironically it's been their consistency that has made them such a valuable player for Halifax this season.  Miskinen has been highly active for Halifax offensively ranking 7th in the league with 338 shots on goal and has been a clutch contributor with the 2nd most game winning goals in the league this season with 9 so far, one less than the league leader Jacob Longstreet @Dynamicmlb_42.  Though perhaps not the most active player around the team or in the locker room week to week, Miskinen is a player that has quietly gone about their business, earning consistently each week and continuing to develop and put in clutch performances for a Halifax team that will take any spark it can get.  

"Not all players need to be max earners or locker room wildfire.  Of course, it's awesome when people are able to give that level of commitment to the VHL each week, but with the business of life it's not reasonable to expect that from everyone.  In my time as GM of Halifax so far, I've come to really appreciate those players who do what they can each and every week.  I know for myself, life can get in the way and pull your attention in many different directions so having players that remember to check in at least once a week and keep chipping away is fantastic and I'll never knock anyone for clicking welfare every week or choosing to be a forum only user as long as they keep coming back!  Without those players, I don't think we have a VHL." - GM Lexie Leitner

Congratulations to Kokko Miskinen on being named our Halifax SuperSailor this week!