Play-off Predictions?

Gaikoku-hito

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

Last week I talked about goaltending and possible the new meta around using low earning goaltender at least during the regular season. I thought about writing further into this week using data but I think my point was made without needing to actually deep dive the topic so what am I going to talk about this week?

How about Play-off match ups?

Yup, with the regular season wrapping up later this week; I think it is about the right opportunity to look at the possible match-up and what I think will happen during them. Of course, this is all subject to change as nothing is written in stone until the final game is played.

North American Wildcard:

Calgary Wranglers & Vancouver Wolves

Current record: 2-2-1-0 for Calgary Wranglers

While on paper this series should be even close in favor of the Vancouver Wolves; Calgary has proven during the regular season that the paper doesn`t matter as the games are played on the ice. Vancouver Wolves will need to find a way to shut down the trio of Catia Goncalves, Raimo Tuominen and Keegan Gamble; if they are going to advance to the next round of play-offs. While Calgary will need to try to slow down a deep team full of potential goal scorers as Vancouver attacks in waves. It won`t be an easy task but I can see a possible upset here if Vancouver struggles to find the back of the net and the games remain close.

Prediction: Vancouver Wolves – 5 games

European Wildcard:

HC Davos Dynamo & Warsaw Predators

Current record: 3-2-0-1 for HC Davos

While I have heard rumors that HC Davos is a much better team than other teams in the NA conference; I find that a tough pill to swallow when I think they will have a tough time against Warsaw in the Wildcard round. 23 goals difference between the two teams so not really a lot but this could be the downfall for Warsaw since they clearly have the better tender and the rest of the teams match up fairly equally so if Warsaw can find a way to score more goals and get 6M goaltending from Dilson; they should be able to knock off Davos in this series.

Prediction: Warsaw Predators – 5 games

North American First round:

Toronto Legion & Vancouver Wolves

Current record: 1-3 for Toronto Legion

Everyone should know my thoughts on low earning TPE goaltenders in the regular season and there is a huge reason I continue to push the regular season aspect as I think a low TPE goaltender is going to hurt you badly in the play-offs. That being said Toronto dominated last season and still have a very strong team Infront of Toddly Bobbly so if Vancouver can find away to get at the tender they should be pulling off the upset in the second round of the play-offs. If they cannot then I am going to throw a tantrum and ask for my current GM to stop over-paying our goaltenders. Goaltending is suppose to win you championships so I am hope this is proven correct.

Prediction: Vancouver Wolves – 6 games

Chicago Phoenix & Seattle Bears

Current record: 3-0-1 (1SOL) for Chicago Phoenix

On paper these two teams are fairly equal across the board but Seattle has tried to imorove via trade deadline deals while Chicago decided to stay pat. So, Who wins this series and why? Honestly I think this series could be a flip of a coining at the end of the day but since Chicago has more offensive fire power and currently led the regular season, I will lean it there way.

Prediction: Chicago Phoenix – 7 games

European Conference First round:

Moscow Menace & Warsaw Predators

Current record: 3-2-1 for Moscow Menace

Simply put I don`t see a way for Warsaw to win this series as Moscow are the defending Champions for a reason and I think only Moscow choking is going to allow Warsaw through to the conference finals. That being said the series has been close with Warsaw losing once in OT and once in a SO so they might scare Moscow if they don`t take them seriuosly.

Prediction: Moscow Menace – 5 games

Riga Reign & Malmo Nighthawks

Current record: 3-2-0 for Riga Reign

This feels like the first must watch series of the play-off or death match if you prefered it called that way. There is really nothing between these two teams and this series could go either way but edge will be given to last years Conference finalist due to having the edge in net.

Prediction: Riga Reign – 6 games

North American Conference Finals:

Vancouver Wolves & Chicago Phoenix

Current Record: 4-1-0 for Chicago Phoenix

Vancouver Wolves have struggled to score at times during the regular season and while I am bias and think Vancouver has the better team the record between the two teams rather suggest that Chicago is the better of the two teams here. So…

Prediction: Chicago Phoenix – 6 games

European Conference Finals:

Riga Reign & Moscow Menace

Current Record: 4-2-0 for Moscow Menace

Usually when we see two teams play in back-to-back seasons, we see a revenge tour of sorts but this season, while I can see Riga possible pulling this off; the record suggest this is Moscow Championship to lose as they should once again get past Riga Reign in the Conference Finals.

Prediction: Moscow Menace – 6 games

VHL Continental Cup Finals:

Chicago Phoenix & Moscow Menace

Current Record: 2-2 (Tied Series)

Looking at the current regular season record between the two teams have caused me to pause in my thought process but at least it shows that the series should be a lot closer than even I was thinking when I started this little prediction project. I still think I favor Moscow but I think it is more now due to being the former Champions but I wouldn`t be surprised if Chicago pulls off what some might call an upset.

Prediction: Moscow Menace – 7 Games.

I always wondering what would happen if some of the other teams won the series early so let quickly look at what I think in the second universe!!

Calgary wins WC:

Toronto has killed Calgary in the head-to-head series 5-0 so it would assume that Toronto should actually get past Calgary in the second round. Goaltending is more equal so I actually give Toronto the edge if they play Calgary instead of Vancouver.

Toronto & Chicago or Seattle Conference finals:

Chicago I still having the edge again due to goaltending without even looking at the records between the two teams and so would Seattle if they manage to win their first round series instead of Chicago. I guess it makes the series between Chicago and Seattle a must watch as I have either team walking to the finals if they can win their opening series. But I don`t have Seattle beating Vancouver since Vancouver won the regular season 4-1-1 over the Bears.

So I guess I see Chicago in all but one situation making the Finals (losing to Seattle)

Seattle only makes the finals if they meet either Calgary or Toronto

Vancouver only makes the finals if they meet Seattle

And I cannot see Toronto or Calgary making the finals due to goaltendering concerns.

Okay, let’s do it for the other conference:

HC Davos wins WC:

Moscow stops a different team and while I think it could have been close between Moscow & Warsaw; I don`t have that option of Davos & Moscow series. Yet the regular season record (3-3) suggest that Davos could upset Moscow if they beat Warsaw.

Malmo beats Riga:

Malmo & Moscow – I would give the edge to Moscow still in the Conference finals but with only 2 games played head-to-head so far it is hard to read how much of difference there might be between these two teams.

Riga & Davos:

3-1-0 record for Riga with two games being determined in OT but it suggest that Riga should make the finals.

Moscow could lose to Davos or Riga

Riga can only lose to Moscow

I don`t have Malmo getting past Riga & Moscow

I don`t have Warsaw getting past Moscow

Davos doesn`t get past either Moscow or Riga.

But at the end of the day what do I know as bias Vancouver Wolves AGM and was just spit balling a few thoughts heading into the play-off where of course I actually think Vancouver Wolves should make the finals and should beat either Riga or Moscow in the finals. It would be funnier if it was Vancouver & Davos finals since that became a trend with my last player and both team coming out of rebuild could but heads a ton in the future if they continue to grow as expected.

But the one thing I know about STHS is nothing is predictable and anything and most likely anything will happen so buckle up as it is time to get the play-off started. Will Moscow start a new curse or prove the curse is broken?

I Love You Kiss GIF by MOODMAN

(1509 words Sept 15, 22 & 29 Claims)

17 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Toronto Legion & Vancouver Wolves

Current record: 1-3 for Toronto Legion

Everyone should know my thoughts on low earning TPE goaltenders in the regular season and there is a huge reason I continue to push the regular season aspect as I think a low TPE goaltender is going to hurt you badly in the play-offs. That being said Toronto dominated last season and still have a very strong team Infront of Toddly Bobbly so if Vancouver can find away to get at the tender they should be pulling off the upset in the second round of the play-offs. If they cannot then I am going to throw a tantrum and ask for my current GM to stop over-paying our goaltenders. Goaltending is suppose to win you championships so I am hope this is proven correct.

Prediction: Vancouver Wolves – 6 games

I don't know about this one, seems biased to me. If Vancouver had a little more grit on their blueline, especially from de Trueno @Thunder, they might have a chance of winning. I believe a challenge was presented between rookies and de Trueno implied he would cower at the sight of the Legion's towering rookie defenceman, so it doesn't look good. We don't need a "star" goalie for them to play like a star every game.

6 minutes ago, ace_five_ said:

would cower at the sight of the Legion's towering rookie defenceman, so it doesn't look good. We don't need a "star" goalie for them to play like a star every game.

Cannot argue with you on that one.  Just better look out for Guntis Gavilrovs and Mark Calaway.  They are carrying the load on the Vancouver blue line.  Good luck to Andrew Skilton, but please dont cry too much when Toronto loses!!!!

2 minutes ago, Thunder said:

Cannot argue with you on that one.  Just better look out for Guntis Gavilrovs and Mark Calaway.  They are carrying the load on the Vancouver blue line.  Good luck to Andrew Skilton, but please dont cry too much when Toronto loses!!!!

I've seen enough heartbreak in my two seasons leading up to now. I'm battle-hardened and ready to go!