Kirby Mini Rambles: The VHLElimination

kirbithan

So… the VHLE is no more. Another Kirby Mini Rambles is only appropriate, even if it is a week late. As a S86 player, I played one season in the VHLE with my first player, Lachlan Summers, for the Stockholm Vikings and contrary to a lot of other users, I had a great time and experience with the league. My GM was the always lovely @MubbleFubbles, and it was his scheming that allowed the Baby Marlins trio consisting of Lachlan, Sadie St-Louis, and John Richards to play together once more for what would be the final time in their careers. 

Despite the fact that Stockholm fell just short of the playoffs, I was still engaged throughout the entire season and looked forward to every sim since Mubbles was an extremely kind and active GM, always open to answering questions and providing advice for his players while keeping the atmosphere light. Our LR in general was also just a super active environment and there was never a dull moment! 

While it’s bittersweet for the VHLE to go, it’s clear that it is no longer needed since there isn’t an influx of users now that the pandemic has come and gone. It served its purpose and it’s time to say goodbye. It has always been a point of contention between users since its creation and after contracting the league by two teams a few seasons ago (I actually suggested this in my “Commish for a Day” theme week article), it was clear that was not the solution. 

I feel for those that held jobs in the E, as they are now looking to move on elsewhere, and I truly hope they find new positions extremely soon should they desire to. I don’t envy the BOG for having to make this extremely difficult decision, but it was what was necessary in the end to improve both the VHLM and VHL, I think.

The VHLE in those days was really fun, a great GM group, a ton of active players pouring in every season, and basically all-star games every single game. My first go around was similarly a highlight getting to play with some awesome S83 players who went on to have incredible careers. But hopefully we can bring that energy back to the VHLM, and reap just as much energy!