Rashford Left Stunned at the S95 VHL Ceremony

Knight

Rashford Left Stunned at the S95 VHL Ceremony

It was a strange evening for David Rashford. Having suffered a bittersweet end to a stellar individual campaign, Rashford's off-season has been a down one. Wanting more than anything to captain Moscow to a repeat championship, he felt that he let the team down following the first round exit. He knew they had the talent and skill to win again, but things just didn't quick click come playoff time. Going into the award ceremony, Rashford knew he would be receiving two awards for counting stats with nothing having to have been voted on. He did wonder if his productive season would yield any votes in any other major categories, but assumed his teammate and longtime line mate Jarmo Rutuu would be receiving most of the MVP consideration as he thought he was the best player on the team. However,  at the end of the award ceremony, Rashford was left staring at a long list of awards:

1. Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Outstanding Player)
  2. Mike Szatkowski Trophy (Most Points: 127)
  3. Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Goals: 56)
  4. Dustin Funk Trophy (Most Improved Player)

"I'm stunned really," said Rashford. "To be voted the best player by my peers is the highest personal achievement there is. I'm also thankful to be recognized as improving as a player, given how much effort I've put into it."