Wingate heads to Minot

CowboyinAmerica

large_logo.png

Minot, N.D. -- It's a new season and a fresh start for goaltender Hans Wingate, as he heads to what is now his third VHLM team: the Minot Gladiators. Minot differs from Oslo and Turku in a number of ways, not the least of which being that it is in the North American Conference. However, there is one key difference that Wingate is focused on: the chance to start.

"I finally have the chance to be the man in the franchise, and I plan to embrace it," Wingate said. "This opportunity isn't going to slip out of my grasp."

Wingate was selected fifth overall in the VHLM Draft last Thursday, a place that quite frankly surprised him. While many expected Delicious to go first overall, young players such as Merica and Clardy jumped Wingate on the draft board.

"No, I don't mind where I ended up at all," Wingate told reporters after being drafted. "If the GMs didn't want me, then they obviously were not going to utilize me correct. Heading to Minot with Jeltz and Mark and all the guys we have there, I think it's a perfect situation for me. I'm feeling good."

Minot is expected to be one of the favorites in the North American Conference this season along with the Ottawa Lynx and the Brampton Blades. Wingate, meanwhile, could fight with Blake Campbell and Gunnar Skovsgard for top goalie honors. It's sure to be a fun season in the VHLM, and Wingate can't wait to get started.