Claimed:Francis York Morgan's Coffee - Room for Improvement [FINAL 6/6]

Christmas

morganscoffee_zps1d34e332.png

My career in professional sports has already begun, and so far I am enjoying every second of it. I am currently on the bus on the way to the Gladiators arena (which I am told looks exactly like the Roman Colosseum) and am hoping that our goal scoring continues. However, defensively, we have been sub par so far.

Our home opener was a gong-show all around, scoring four goals but allowing 6 in the loss. What was really frustrating was we were behind 4-1 after the first 20 minutes, which forced us into an offensive mode, not giving me a lot of chances to take my time with it and try to make a good play. I played 20 minutes in the loss, which isn't bad, but didn't register a single point and was a minus 1 on the game. I wasn't really surprised as this was my first hockey game with actual coaches, and I felt like I was in over my head.

Our second game started out like our first. Joakim Videl, who sounds a lot like an old partner I used to have, scored twice in the first and we had to play catchup again. Thankfully, my teammate Backenbauer was able to tie the game early in the second to give us a little bit of life. But I made a mistake in the neutral zone later on and gave it right to Stabby McFullO'Schmidt, who was able to create a 3-0 on my own goalie and score. I didn't see another minute of ice-time in the second, and it really hit me that I can't make those kind of selfish plays out here. The third period rolled around, and we went down by two when my teammate Ruutu took a bad penalty early on. This was now do-or die time. My coach got me back on the ice and I helped start the rush on two goals midway in the third period  to tie the game. It was late, but we were finally able to break through with 30 seconds left when Pablo Escobar sealed it for us. It was my first win, and a huge win.

So far, I have been able to contribute. At this point that is all I can ask for since I am at a level below just about everyone in this league. Two points in two games as a defenseman isn't anything to scoff at. However, I can do better, and my coach knows it. Only three other players on the team have fewer points than I do, and while my -1 is on par with most of my teammates, that isn't going to be good enough if I want to be an impact player on this team.

First thing I have to improve on is my passing. So far, I have connected on two goals, but my passes in general have been all over the place. One of my errant plays even led to a 3-0 chance which led to a goal. My coach even sat me down and let me know that I have to be smarter with the puck. The second thing I have to improve on is my shot blocking. Four shots blocked in two games is decent, but I'm tied for 4th on the team in that regard, and as a 1st rounder I have to be at least close to the top. The final thing, and the most important thing, is my communication. So far I haven't talked much at all, and both my teammates and coaches have said that I have to talk out there more. Players at this level are very good, but that doesn't mean they won't benefit from me communicating out there. Unfortunately that will be the hardest attribute to work on, as I focus most of my conversation towards Zach, who guides me through each of the games. Isn't that right, Zach?

Either way, I am happy to start out with some points to get me some confidence, but I know that I will need to do better if I want to make the big leagues. And I can do better.

Content: 3/3 - As somebody whose actual name is Zach, I must say that the ending slightly freaked me out and made me look over my shoulder. But all in all, was an entertaining piece.

Grammar: 2/2 - Just a few minor things here, was well-written throughout.

sub par = either subpar or sub-par I'll accept, but looks odd as two words

period  to = one space between the words

Presentation: 1/1 - Hooray, the series has its own graphic!

Total: 6/6