Wingate on Sawchuk course?

CowboyinAmerica

large_logo.png

Minot, N.D. -- Nine games into the season for the Minot Gladiators, much of the focus has been on winger Vogon Jeltz and defenseman Jack Ryan for their potent one-two punch. However, perhaps lost in the shuffle has been another important component to the team's hot 7-0-2 start: goaltender Hans Wingate.

Following a season of uncertainty at the goaltender position, the team certainly seems happy to have Wingate. The fifth pick in this year's VHLM draft has posted solid numbers so far, sitting with a .929 save percentage and a 2.39 goals against average, both second-best in the league. He also has one shutout, that coming against the Saskatoon Wild in a 6-0 victory.

"I'm feeling good so far this season; we're doing some big things," Wingate said in a recent press conference. "Since I'm playing so well early, and since I continue to expect to grow, I think I might even have a shot at an individual award."

In order to get to a Sawchuk Trophy though, Wingate will have to beat out the league's non-Jeltz MVP: Gunnar Skovsgard. The Red Wolves goaltender has put up incredible numbers through his first seven games, with a .938 save percentage and a 1.85 goals against average sitting best in the league.

There are, however, reasons for Wingate to feel good. Despite Skovsgard's numbers, Moscow's relative lack of offense means the goalie is just 4-3 on the season. Also, Wingate will continue to grow as a player, while Skovsgard seems to remain stuck at 168 practice hours.

Still, Wingate does not want to rest on his laurels, especially with strong goalies like Blake Campbell and Coca Cola on his heels. "I want to win this award; this is important for me," Wingate said. "And I plan to see it through to the end."