Demko finds new home

rum_ham

It's safe to say that the past few seasons for Patrick Demko have been a whirlwind of changes. His VHL journey began when he was selected 18th overall in the VHLM dispersal draft by the Yukon Rush. After a tolling season with the Rush, things ended on somewhat of a bad note on a team and a personal level when his team lost in the finals and Demko only managed to scrape up 30 points for his team that season despite being among the league leaders in ice time. Despite his lackluster season, the potential he possessed was still seen by VHL GM's. Demko was later shocked to find out that he had been selected 4th overall in the VHL entry draft by the Helsinki Titans, and was later traded by the Yukon Rush to the Oslo Storm, where he spent the entirety of last season. After a huge turnaround last season, winning the Playoff MVP Award and the Best Defenseman Award in the VHLM (after losing for a second straight year in the finals), Demko was shocked to find out that he had been traded once again to the Quebec City Meute, where he will officially begin his VHL journey. Demko sat down briefly with Mike Hunt to discuss this.

Mike Hunt: Hello, Patrick. I know you don't have a lot of time, so let's just jump right into this. When did you know you had been traded and what was your immediate reaction?

Patrick Demko: I actually didn't know until I was sent a welcome message by the Meute's GM. Initially I was pretty shocked. I didn't see the trade coming at all, but I'm really happy to be playing for the Meute and really appreciated the opportunities that the Titans gave me. 

MH: How do you feel about the change in scenery after you've had some time to let it sink in?

PD: I'm really happy with it. The guys on the team are great and on paper we have a really good team. I think it's gonna be a really fun year.

MH: Do you have any goals set for yourself this season?

PD: Not really, I don't really like to set goals. I'm just gonna try to play to the best of my ability and contribute to my team's success.

MH: There are rumors floating around that you could potentially be paired up with the man you were traded with, Jake Wylde. What do you think about that potential pairing?

PD: That would be amazing. Jake was someone I watched closely in my time in Helsinki, and to be able to play and learn from a guy like that in my rookie year would be awesome.

MH: That's it for today, thanks for joining us Patrick and best of luck to you next season.

PD: Thanks, I appreciate it.