Claimed:On The Road With Niklas Kurri [Final 6/6]

This is Hu Gibbsafux with the Borderline Hockey Star Times. Today we're in Seattle and we catch up with Quebec City Meute forward Niklas Kurri. Niklas is in town as the Meute battle with his former team, the Seattle Bears. We're going to change things up a bit and focus on life off the ice. Kurri spent his VHL rookie season in Seattle. Kurri also played a season in Everett with the Western Hockey League's Everett Silvertips, about 20 minutes north of Seattle via Interstate-5. Kurri is very familiar with the area, so who better to have show us around?

Our day starts at a fairly predictable location, The Famed Pikes Place Market in downtown Seattle, "Yeah I come down here every once in a while. You walk down these stairs and there's some great seafood restaurants along the piers. The Fisherman's is probably my favorite out of all the restaurants down there" Says Kurri.

It's a bit early for a bucket of clams, so we decide to hit the Seattle Aquarium. The aquarium is located next to the before mentioned "Fisherman's Restaurant", "The Crabpot" and the newly opened Seattle Great Wheel, the largest observation wheel on the west coast, standing 175 feet tall. After a quick ride in cabin #42 on the Ferris Wheel, the VIP cabin which features leather bucket seats, a stereo system and a glass bottom floor, we decide to go check out the aquarium. The aquarium features a wide range of marine life, primarily that is native to the Pacific Northwest. My personal favorite are the large halibut swimming near the bottom of a large circular tank that features many cold water fish you might catch out in Puget Sound. We spend a couple hours at the aquarium which Kurri informs me is one of his favorite places to get away and relax for a bit.

2988009532_3691d638c5_z.jpg

We hop in a black Ferrari 355 LS "Yeah this is one of my old cars. I gave it to one of the puck bunny's after I left town, luckily here in Seattle, I'll be able to drive some nice wheels when we're here on the road!"

It certainly is a ice set of wheels and I'm kind of dumbfounded how somebody could afford to simply give away a car like this... then I remember that Kurri recently hit a nice VHL lottery jackpot. We head north along the water and stop for lunch at a small restaurant called "Chinooks", located in Seattle's famous Fisherman's Terminal. The salmon is freshly caught and delicious, way better than the farm raised salmon commonly sold in grocery stores. There's a memorial located outside the restaurant, dedicated to the fisherman who have lost their lives in the tough seas of the Northern Pacific. I notice the name of Phil Harris, one of the captains from the Discovery Channel's television show, Deadliest Catch. Kurri asks me if I want to go see some live salmon and we head to the Ballard Locks just a mile or so away.

ballard_locks.jpg

We head to the west-side of the locks where there is a fish ladder, with a observation area. People can view the salmon as they make their way from the Pacific Ocean into Lake Washington and begin their long journey upstream. They will swim hundreds of miles in many cases, to spawn and complete their lives journey. We see many fish over the course of just 15-20 minutes and Kurri seems fascinated by the different species of fish swimming through.

"Yeah, to me this sort of thing is a great way to relax and take my mind off of hockey for a little bit" Says Kurri.

We have a beer at a local bar and head our separate ways.

*just want to point out that it's still Sunday here in Seattle.*

Edited by nikkurri17