Post Draft Interview: Wesley Babiy

BeanSobie

VHL.com  This is Bob MacIndue.  I am down on the floor with the Oslo Storm's most recent draft pick.  Now there has been some controversy over this player's name so why don't we just let you state it for the record?

Babiy  Wes.  Most everyone just calls me Wes.  I know the Cyrillic spelling is messed up due to a mistake by my nurse, but that is old news.  

VHL.com  So you aren't anticipating any issues with Norwegians trying to pronounce your name?

Babiy  No.  Being in a new country with its own language allows me to step out the gate and put the spelling down phonetically so there won't be an problems.  Interestingly enough, this will be the third unique spelling of my name on a jersey.  There's the Cyrillic, the English, and now in Norwegian which will have that weird 'A' 'E' letter to spell Bæbiy.

VHL.com  With Oslo taking La'Sean Coutzen, an experienced center in this league, second overall do you feel pushed to compete with him for ice time?

Babiy  Obviously every player will be playing for ice time, and no one wants to be glued to the bench.  As far as me and Coutzen go personally, I have not met him but I really liked his game from what I saw in the playoffs.  I think him and I are very similar which will make it hard for me to get playing time as he is an elite talent and I still have yet to play in this league.  But I think a friendly rivalry could be in the making and I think Oslo has got a good thing going for them up the middle.

VHL.com  Alright.  Thank you for your time Wes.  We know you have a ton to do tonight so we won't hold you up any longer.  Congratulations and enjoy this night.

Babiy  Thanks, Bob.

Word Count: 317
Edited by BeanSobie