Deschamps shaken by tragedy back home

scotty

Deschamps shaken by tragedy back home

Brampton, Ont. -- In the midst of a mediocre season thus far, hockey seems to be far from the front of mind for Maxime Deschamps right now in the wake of a slew of terrorist attacks on the French capital of Paris. Deschamps, a 20-year-old centre currently plying his trade in the VHLM, hails from the northern French city of Amiens - located less than two hours from the site of the deadly attacks.

Deschamps, who has no shortage of family and friends in the capital city says it's certainly something that puts some perspective into your life.

"In hockey it's such a day-to-day grind and for something like this to happen, you really take a step back and re-evaluate the bigger picture," Deschamps said. "While I didn't lose anyone I personally knew in the attacks, it still resonates with me that my country was attacked in such a manner. It definitely gives me an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach to know what's going on in the region. It's very sad, indeed."

Officials in Brampton have said they offered Deschamps an opportunity to return home on leave, an offer that was ultimately turned down by Deschamps who has elected to stay in the Toronto suburb with the team.

"It was very gracious of them to extend that offer to me as it's something I did initially ponder. After giving it some thought and speaking with my family, I feel like it's best for me to stay with the team and continue to contribute however I can," Deschamps said. "It's definitely given me some additional purpose over here as I continue my journey in professional hockey."

Through 24 games played, Deschamps has registered seven goals and 16 points while churning in a disappointing -13 rating.