Chychrun-OHL-Photo.jpg

Name: Tyson Kohler

Previous Team: Sarnia Sting

Birthplace: List auf Syit, Germany

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 212 lbs.

Position: Right Wing

Scouting Report
Tyson is blessed scorer, and we do mean blessed. Kohler has that natural ability to find the twine in behind the net minder wherever he is on the ice. Kohler is currently in his first season with the Yukon Rush after being drafted out of the OHL with the Sarnia Sting. Kohler is a big bodied player who doesn't exactly fit the whole "Power-Forward" style of play. His soft hands and amazing ability to skate are what set him apart from someone who you typically consider a power forward. His physical attributes and sheer size make him a nuisance in front of the net no matter what style you may think he plays.

jakob_chychrun_sarnia_sting_3.jpg
Tyson was voted as an alternate captain by his teammates down in Sarnia

Strengths
Leadership – A player that won't be as vocal as a captain can sometimes be, but he leads by example and keeps the dressing room light. Kohler has a great attitude when he shows up to the rink and it tends to rub off on his teammates. A player who is calm under pressure and able to get the juices flowing of his teammates when they need a spark. Never afraid to back up his teammates with a big hit or even drop the gloves for a tilt.

Shot - It may seem somewhat of a broken record when scouts mention a kid has a quick release. With Tyson Kohler though that quick release is the difference between being blocked and finding the corner of the net. Tyson has seen the red light flash many times in behind the goal in his hockey career. The most interesting part about his shot is that he tends to use his slapshot more often than any other form of shot. It's unlikely that a forward needs a slapshot anywhere besides the power play as it can take too much time to create. Kohler gives you the power behind his shot and lets you feel it if it's blocked.

Durability - Kohler is built and quite often is the first one in and the last one out of the weight room. He prides himself on staying in shape to often major injuries but of course knows the muscles soreness and other knacks come with the game. Being able to overpower other players is his main strength, so if he is better conditioned than they are he has a better chance of staying out on the ice the entire season.

Weaknesses
Agility - Gifted skater, but agility is a worry from what some scouts have said. A guy with his speed and strength is nice, but turning and being able to move in one fluid motion can be a challenge at times. Tyson sees the ice quite well and has a high hockey IQ, but his body does seem to take a bit of time to get around to reacting to a play.

Off-Ice Issues - Listing a players troubles off the ice is very common in scouting reports. Tyson is very charitable off the ice, so much so that he gave some money to the wrong individuals and those same individuals want more. Kohler has been linked to a mob in the Toronto area and it is concerning on all fronts going forward.

Experience - Tyson only started skating when he was 15 years old, so he really only has 3 years of experience under his belt. He sees the game well but still is unsure of how some of the rules work. Given some coaching, he could turn into a very productive leader for any team.

NHL Comparison
Best comparison we can give you for Tyson Kohler is San Jose Sharks forward/defenseman Brent Burns. Burns was a converted blue liner but then did go back to the blueline a few years into his career with the Sharks. Kohler is lost at times because of his inexperience. However, his general physical attributes and nose for the net give him that edge that teams desire. He is a big bodied player who goes hard to the blue paint and commands his own space.

chychrun073115_672.jpg
Career Potential
Kohler has the potential to be a first line impact player but his size might limit his overall use in any given game. His size believe it or not could be his downfall or his strength depending on the other team. Power-Forward with a blend of skill might be the best way to describe Kohler's game. Think Jeremy Roenick and Todd Bertuzzi but with the potential for a faster skating wing player. Kohler is the guy you place in front of the net on the power play and someone left on the bench for the penalty kill.

Nice rookie profile.  Looks like you've got a good player on your hands, or potentially good player anyway.  Pretty much the whole section under the Durability heading was a little wonky to me.  Actually, the whole 2nd sentence of that section.... " He prides himself on staying in shape to often major injuries but of course knows the muscles soreness and other knacks come with the game. " I'm not sure what you mean by "often major injuries"  And "knacks" I'm thinking that's a typo.

All things considered, nice rookie profile.  I look forward to what he can do in the VHLM and beyond.

1 hour ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

I thought knack was like "he's got a knack for tickling the twine" lol idk, I'm not an English major.

I've heard both knick and knack being used. I don't know English isn't my first language haha