Claimed:Watchmen Weekly [Reviewed]

Banackock

cdpaBsx.png

BRATISLAVA WEEKLY

cdpaBsx.png

Over the last 5 seasons, the Bratislava Watchmen have seen a lot of fluctuation when it comes to where they finish off in the standings. However, in this fluctuation, it seems the team has once again found a way to be successful which is something they've struggled to do for sometime. With missing the finals by one game in S44, to winning in all in S47, the team has come along way and a lot would argue that they've somewhat restored glory in Bratislava. For the second season in a row, they're gaining popularity and are once again leading the charge in first place. Unlike last season where they started their climb to the top mid season, the Watchmen have owned the top of the mountain for the entire season. In the media last week, General Manager Blake Campbell was featured as a large factor into the Watchmen's success. He's made the right moves, along with the bold ones and has sacrificed his name and overall record for the glory of winning. When asked what it's like to make such a sacrifice, these were his words.

tumblr_moyz0kugPC1qeqldjo3_r1_250.gif

It's honestly not that hard to do. You have to look at the VHLM and VHL has two totally different beasts. With one, players last longer. With the other, the turnover rate is rapid so you constantly need to have a plan. There's GM's out there who believe that they need to find a consistent balance between things and in my opinion, they're always playing mediocre hockey and going up against big teams like Ottawa, Bratislava and Saskatoon. They find that rather than going all in and sacrificing maybe the next season or two, theyd want to find the "Cinderella story win". For myself? We sacrificed it all in my first season and came extremely close. We spent the next two seasons in a heavy rebuild where I team played very poorly. Afterwards, we made a huge push and now we've won a cup and are decent contenders for a repeat. Now, why do I do this? I'm a GM and my job is to make the experience for my players the best that it can be - especially the new, young ones. If I have to sit in an empty LR for a season or two, rebuilding and then get a great group of active, loyal and hardworking guys and blow the shit out of it so they can have a great time and win a cup - fuck yeah I'll do that. I'm all for my boys at the end of the day. We're a team and together, we'll do whatever it takes to kick ass. 

It makes a lot of sense that Campbell is a huge reason as to why the Watchmen are doing extremely well during his tenure. So good that his names in the air for a promotion to the big leagues. Aside from Campbell playing the cards the right way and betting boldly, the team has a lot of other factors which have strongly pushed the team forward and helped him win the poker hand. From last seasons strong depth defense, goaltending and elite forwards to this seasons production boost from Podarok, the team has more weapons than just those who sit on the sidelines and call the shots. With that said, let's take a look at some of Bratislava's biggest factors of success this season.

The Players - Podarok, Maximoff, Hynes & company

Zajac_ANA.0.gif

We dislike the fact that the title singled players out, but that wasn't the case and that's exactly why "& company" is added into the title. It's been a large team effort to push the team forward and allow them to hold onto their first place crown (although it may be slipping away). Podarok is destroying the league for goals and points and has an incredible lead in both categories. He is easily the regular season MVP. While new additions in Kai Roberts (C) and Sven Wolf (G) have strengthened the team that much more. The addition of Roberts brings in a true #1 C outside of Davidson and Sven, of course, brings in a goalie when one was completely absent for almost half the season.

It's obviously really the only other thing there is other than PK, PP and their amazing GF/GA difference this season. There players have played very strong for them and deserve as much credit as the GM does. They work hard each and everyday to make themselves stronger and in return, they make the GM's job easier. The Watchmen still have quite the hill to climb if they wish to repeat and take down some teams that are arguably stronger than them, but GM Campbell has full belief in the group of guys he has to get the job done. 

• JPL changed the title to Claimed:Watchmen Weekly [Reviewed]
  • DollarAndADream locked this topic