Trying to get ready [Reviewed]

jRuutu

strong-brain.jpg

The title says it pretty well. I have been trying to make sure I´m ready to play hockey when the puck drops in the playoffs. You really cant have a bad day during the playoffs because the differences between teams are very small, pretty much any team can win you and if you are not feeling great and playing badly you will lose the game. Losing is not the end of the world if you lose the first game in the series, but it´s not the ideal way to start the series obviously. If you lose once more you are already down 2-0 and that what if feeling will slowly start to come into the picture. What if you lose the next game as well? Then it´s 3-0 and the whole thing is almost over.

The mental side of everything is perhaps the area that I have been trying to improve the most lately. There is various things you can do to make sure you are ready to fight. For example you can do anything you like, as long as that something takes your mind off hockey. Basically trying to relax and getting the pressure of the playoffs out of your mind. I like to play video games when I have time, especially various FPS games are great when trying to relax.  At least for me the FPS games are great way to relax. You see a lot of players getting really angry in the games, but I don´t really ever feel anger or anything like that when playing. 

I don´t want to start bragging, but I´m awesome in FPS games. If this hockey thing would have not worked out, I would more than likely be a professional video game player who plays against other top players in tournaments all over the world. 

Xiii_ECTS_new_031.jpg

Another great way to find some motivation and perspective to things is to donate your time to charity. There is always something to do in bigger cities especially. Few hours trying to help people might be all it takes for you to realize that losing a game of hockey might not be a terrible thing in the bigger picture. Once you realize that, you will just go out there and play. No pressure of losing anymore, you just take one shift at a time and do your best. Sounds quite simple, but it´s really hard to find that frame of mind sometimes. It´s easier for some players and really hard for some. It´s all about trying to find what works for you and making sure you are ready when it´s time to be ready.

Of course you need to eat well and sleep if you want to actually win. Those things come first always, but right after eating and sleeping well comes the mental side. Usually the team who is the strongest mentally wins the cup, so everything has a effect on everything. It´s all about being the best possible player when it counts the most, that moment is the playoffs.

• Evans changed the title to Trying to get ready [Reviewed]
  • DollarAndADream locked this topic