Olsen Readies Huge Stat Increase

CowboyinAmerica

Seattle-Times-Logo.png

Watchful Seattle Bears fans may have noticed last season that Karsten Olsen didn't exactly... improve any. He had worked hard in the S34 offseason, sure, but once the season actually hit, the defenseman the Bears saw on Game 1 was the same defenseman they saw on Game 82. It wasn't that Olsen was lazy, it was just that... OK, he was lazy.

"Lazy as could be," Karsten Olsen said in an interview with the Seattle Times earlier this week. "I just didn't want to do anything."

That long time off, however, may have had some unintended consequences. Because Olsen was gone so long, there were many practice hours that he accumulated along the way that he was never able to apply. Practice from donations, predictions, giveaways and other fantasy events simply sat by the wayside as Olsen did nothing during the regular season. But now, when those points are coupled with various offseason upgrades, Olsen may just be one of the most improved players in the entire VHL heading into next season.

"Before, I didn't have anything maxxed out," Olsen said. "But now, I'm going to be one of the best players in the league in passing, defense, checking and skating, and that's just in one offseason. It's going to be a big increase."

A quick look at his numbers backs him up. With an expected update around 120 practice hours heading into Season 36, Olsen will now be able to increase his scoring and puck handling slightly as well. While Olsen did not perform well enough to even make the All-Star Game in S35 (despite holding the third-most votes in the North American Conference, but that's another article for another time), I wouldn't bet against him being a Defenseman of the Year candidate in S35.