From last week [Reviewed]

Da Trifecta

This week I can highlight a few more players from the previous draft. We currently sit in the off-season and this really doesn't have much going on. So I should be able to talk about the rest of the first round here. With the Finals still going on between the HC Davos Dynamo and the Toronto Legion, the draft seems like it will take place some time next week. So with that there will be at least some more time to talk about the players that you have became accustomed to seeing this past season in the VHL. Some of these players may have played in the minor league system last year but I am quite certain they garnered attention there. So without further ado, let me get started.

Coming in at fifth overall in the draft we had Izidors Balders and he was selected by the Helsinki Titans. He was drafted with 132 practice hours logged and he would end up falling short of the 175 threshold to play in the actual VHL. He would spend his time in the VHLM and would go on to play for the Yukon Rush. As one of the top defenders on the Yukon Rush, Izidors would be the teams top scoring defender. He tallied up 73 points on 18 goals and 55 assists. He dished out 146 hits on the season and blocked 99 shots.

Current practice hours: 177

At sixth overall we had Elijah Dotran. Elijah was drafted to the Stockholm Vikings. He had 86 practice hours logged at the time of the draft. He would be playing the year out in the minors as well and he would be playing on the Brampton Blades. Dotran was one of the teams top defenders and he was the second leading scoring defense man on the team. He managed to get 63 points from 11 goals and 52 assists. One thing I failed to mention was Elijah started the season with the Oslo Storm before being traded. He spent half a year with them.

Current practice hours: 181

Seventh overall would be a third straight defense man in Guntis Petenis. The Seattle Bears would gladly accept this giant to their farm system. The 6'8 Latvian would be playing in the minor and his team for the year would be Ottawa Lynx. When draft night came around he would be sitting at 75 practice hours logged. When the season came around he was ready to show why he was drafted in the first round. 41 points would be his final numbers with 12 as goals and 29 as assists.

Current practice hours: 162

Eighth overall was Max von Hohenzollern and he is a part of the well known RomanesEuntDomus player agency. Another Seattle Bear drafted here and he would be serving out his year in the minors along with soon to be fellow teammate Guntis. Unfortunately they wouldn't get to team up just yet as Max went on to play for the Moscow Red Wolves. At the time of the draft he had 73 practice hours logged. On the year he had 59 points and of them he had 30 goals and 29 assists.

Current practice hours: 137

Ninth in the draft was yet another defender to add to this list. Maksym Barnyashev would be the pick and he would be in the Helsinki Titans farm system. 84 practice hours logged would be what he was sitting on at draft night. The minors would be where he played for the rest of the year. The Bern Royals would be his team and he would log 113 points with 36 goals and 77 assists.

Current practice hours: 143

Last but not least we have Joanna Akerfeldt. This young lady would be the only goalie selected in the first round. The Calgary Wranglers is her eventual team when she makes the jump from the minors to the VHL. On the year she would play for the Ottawa Lynx and she had 41 wins and would sport a .910 save percentage.

Current practice hours: 149