Claimed:Owens unsure of future with Titans

Tyler

If nothing else, Tyler Owens has made it clear to the VHL, he will be playing in your league, and soon. The recently turned 20 year old defenseman is about to begin his third VHLM season with the Saskatoon Wild and although he has had personal success with the Western Canadian team, he is hoping this will be his last year with the club. "I love Saksatoon and everything they have done for me, but honestly I hope I never have to come to training camp here again," said Owens after returning from camp in Finland with the Titans.

Owens, a draft pick of Helsinki is expected to play the entire season in the VHLM and than pheraps being called up to the Finnish club around the playoffs for depth. This is a typical move in hockey and in particular in the VHL as teams cannot afford much depth until playoff time when cap does not matter as much. The Canadian defenseman says he wants to be a full time VHL player as soon as posisble, with or without the Titans. "I respect them and everyone involved with the team, but in all honesty if I have to go to another team to play in the league then, well so be it." Owens was among the VHLM's scoring leaders last year and is tasked with being his team's number one defenseman once more this year, a position he revels.

138030305-590x393.jpg

Owens will be looking to improve his defensive game in Saksatoon this year if he wants to make the Titans.

"Being able to be your team's top guy at your position is an honor," said Owens recently, "It's like your team's way of telling you they trust you and I hope I can pick up where I left off last season." Of course, Owens will be without his go to teammate this year in Xin Xien Xao who will be suiting up for the New York Ameircans in the big leagues this up coming year. The duo was well known as being one of, if not the best one two punch in the league. Owens assisted on many of the Chinese born hockey star's goals the past year, and they credit one another for their improved game.

Owens is likely on the Titans radar for a call up sooner rather than later. However, Owens also maintains he wants to play in the VHL be it for the Titans or for any of the leagues other nine clubs. "I love Helsinki and their managemet," said Owens, "but in all reality I have to do what is best for me, and if I have a better chance to grow, as a player, on another team well than I think I have to consider my options." The question is, would there even be a market for the underdeveloped New Brunswick defender? He has yet to play a game in the VHL and has shown only minor developement since being drafted. It is therefore unlikely that any team would offer much for his services. At best Helsinki may be able to get a second round draft pick for him, although even that, depending on the draft, would be a high price to pay for the large Canadian defenseman.

Content: 3/3 - I can't say I understand your troubles of dwelling in the minors for too long, but with the work ethic you've been putting in lately, you're bound to be wanted by a team sooner or later. You deserve better than to be stuck in minor league purgatory. This was an honest reflection of your player and where he stands right now.

Grammar: 2/2 - Spell check.

Saksatoon - Saskatoon

managemet - management

developement - development

Appearance: 1/1 - Color was used.

Overall: 6/6

Final: 6/6