Claimed:O Captain, My Captain

Ball

The Newest Captain of Seattle On His New Role And State Of The Bears

Ever since Sebastian Ball Jr. entered the VHL in S33, comparisons to his father have been plentiful. Both were picked up off the VHLM waiver wire by the Vasteras Baby Eagles. Both had mediocre VHLM debuts before being selected in the late rounds of the VHL Entry draft by the Seattle Bears (second round for Ball Jr. and third round for Ball Sr.). Now you can add captaining the Seattle Bears to the comparisons. Before the start of the S36 campaign, Seattle Bears general manager, Greg Harbinson, announced that Ball would become the 18th player to be named captain of the Bears. “It is a great honor to wear the C on my jersey this season,” said Ball Jr. “There are a bunch of guys on the team that could have easily taken the role of captain. We are lucky to have so many leader on this team and it amazed me to see that I was chosen to lead us in S36.”

hi-res-144647752_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=

Ball Jr., the fourth year winger out of Boston University, first made his VHL debut in S34. Though he hasn't been the most effective weapon for the Bears in his first two seasons, Ball Jr. has stayed positive throughout Seattle's long rebuild and has become a staple in the Bears' future. “He is a great kid and has started to learn the ropes of the VHL,” said Jake Silver, a reporter for the Seattle Times. “Even though he has struggled to find his game in the big leagues, I have never once seen him walking with his head down. He knows that somethings take time to develop and he has been patiently waiting.” Karsten Olsen and James Lefevre were selected as the alternate captains for the Bears. Olsen, a fellow S33 draftee, and Lefevre, the hard hitting veteran, will be looked upon to help Ball Jr. handle his new role as leader. “I have the utmost respect for these guys,” said Ball Jr. “Both have been selected as captain in the past, so they know what they are doing. They know the ins and outs of the game and have helped me not only become a better player, but also showed me what it takes to become a professional in the VHL. I look up to both of these guys and will rely on them to help me make those tough decisions on and off the ice.”

73123b5c-bd97-4d44-b9bb-7d1715a47670.jpg

While Ball Jr. seems nervous about his new leadership role, it hasn't seem to effected his game in the beginning of the new season. In 8 games, Ball has been on fire, scoring 7 goals and adding 4 assists for 11 points thus far. Alongside Giygas, Zack Sound, and Mikey Blade, the Bears' offense has seem to take a 360 degree turn from being one of the worst offenses in the VHL the past three seasons. “After the four game losing streak, we took a step back and tried to see what we were doing wrong as a team,” Ball Jr. stated after last night's win over the Calgary Wranglers. “After messing with the pairings a bit, it looks like Greg [Harbinson] has got the team meshing nicely. Mikey, Zack, and Giygas have been huge thus far and have all really picked up the offensive fire power we have been lacking as of late. Olsen, Lefevre, and the young bull Godavari Yumalatopinto have been holding down the defensive zone as usual. And [steven] Smyl is looking like exactly what we here in Seattle thought he would, like the next LeBeau or Rift. Everyone keeps sleeping on us, but we have a hell of a team here. There is no more next season, because this is our season. We are gonna make some noise in the VHL, like it or not. That is your choice.”

• 3 weeks later...