Claimed: Vegas talk with Ying

Gudnason

One of the most highly touted prospects to come from Asia in recent memory, Rudi Ying recently got drafted in the S55 VHL Entry Draft at fourth overall by the Riga Reign. "I've travelled around the world quite extensively over the past couple of years, but it's my first time in Latvia, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm currently living in an apartment that overlooks the Freedom Monument, and in the future I'm looking forward to exploring what Riga and Latvia has to offer. In the mean time, I'm just setting up some stuff here before I head back to Las Vegas."

Yes, indeed Rudi Ying will be heading back to Las Vegas for a sophomore season, as despite the departure of goaltender Vernon Von Axelberry, powerplay quarterback Diego Jokinen, and snipers Takashi Fujimoto and Rusty Trombone, Ying will return to a team that still features Slava Aleksei, Felix Savard, Dexter Lane, and Luca Volkov in hopes of repeating as Founders' Cup champions. Having started the season behind Rask Rowe last season, Ying is expected to start the season as the top line center alongside Slava Aleksei and will be leaned on as an offensive weapon for the Aces this season.

Filling his shoes this year as being a depth forward are new faces such as the promising Sergei Komarov and the not-as-promising Alexander McKinley, and the returnee Rask Rowe. Savard, Lane, and Volkov will be joined on the blue line by a fresh face in Mr. Shakedown. Shakedown could be a top defenseman if he wanted to, but his work ethic and commitment levels are what is currently holding him back at the moment. Having been drafted 15th overall in the S55 VHLM Dispersal Draft, a fellow defenseman who is more highly-touted at the moment - Bastian Stolzschweiger - that was drafted 16th overall, one spot behind Shakedown, could cause added pressure and stress on Shakedown.

With elite VHLM superstar talents such as Felix Savard (175 TPE), Slava Aleksei (174 TPE), Rudi Ying (173 TPE), and Luka Volkov (160 TPE), a pair of elite forwards, a pair of elite defensemen, and a third semi-elite defenseman in Dexter Lane could be enough for the Aces to be a serious threat to repeat as championships despite the lack of a goaltender. With only the Ottawa Lynx having a human goaltender in net at this time (Key Perought), Vegas's lack of a goaltender should not be a serious detriment with teams like Yukon, Saskatoon, and Oslo all without a goaltender in net.

In addition, Las Vegas is well set up for the future, and not a flash in the pan, as they managed to turn their 20th overall pick from this week's draft, Elijah Mikaelson, for a first-round draft pick in S56. As Fujimoto, Trombone, and Jokinen pass the baton onto Aleksei, Ying, and Volkov this year, by this time next year, Aleksei, Ying, and Volkov could very well pass it on to the new generation that is currently shaping up to be based around Komarov, Shakedown, and a S56 VHLM draftee.

*for Stolzschweiger