Continuing The Research

Tagger

As many of you will have seen, I do a lot of articles that look into the analytical side of the VHL, but some of those sheets have some extra information to add to them. Here's what I've got in that regard: 

How Much Do Championship Winning Teams Spend On Defensemen (Original Article Here)

This article looked at how well teams who spent the most on defensemen did in the season and how much that the cup winning team spent on defensemen. Here's the new spreadsheets with the seasons since I wrote the article first.

tvmmT5s.png

aDMLeqT.png

As you can see, since the move to this forum in Season 35, Helsinki are only the third team in twenty seasons to have spent the most money on defensemen and then gone on to win the Continental Cup. It works in stark contrast to the Americans $5.95M spending in Season 53, which is the least spent on defensemen by a Championship winning team since Season 37. 

Money Spent on Inactive Free Agents (Original Article Here)

Last season, a total of $69.5 Million dollars was being spent by VHL teams on inactive VHLM quality players. This season, that figure fell to $50.75M, which would perhaps be considered a very promising development. However, the main reason for the drop is that the Express elected to promote inactive draftees into their VHL team at a combined $12M, which makes it only a $6.75M difference between the two. If you include those Express callups in the figures, it means that 24% of the VHL salaries are being spent on inactive VHLM quality players, which is a slight improvement, but still a figure which doesn't look good for the future of a ten-team league.