I can't think of anything to write about...

Fire Tortorella

...so I'm going to post a bunch of random VHL related thoughts @eaglesfan036 style.

• I really want my latest player to be successful. I've never had a player break 1,000 TPE (Robin Gow would have but I retired due to GM reasons) which is the minimum I'd like to do with Jeff. An individual award or even the HoF would be nice, but would require a lot of things to go my way.
  • I've already done more PTs for Jeff than I did for Shayne, so at least i'm on the right track. Once I sit down and actually start writing it's not that bad. My media spots are dull, but 6 TPE is 6 TPE.
  • I believe @Beaviss mentioned in a previous thread coming up with media spot templates for new members. I think that's a great idea. Something like a list of interview questions to answer is an easy way to get that first PT done.
  • Why do we seem to have trouble recruiting from non-hockey sim leagues, or even other sim leagues in general? When was the last time we got a recruit directly from the SHL or GOMHL, let alone the SBA or any other league I may be missing?

On that last bulletin, I think it's because GOMHL and SHL are a lot easier than VHL to be successful in. So if you don't start with VHL I find that new members find the workload demanding or excessive.  However, I think it is much more manageable than people realize.  I also think sometimes VHL takes on the feel of an exclusive club.  Some of you have known each other for 10+ years, I've been in VHL for 6, maybe 7?  Like, it's just like coming into a group of friends who have known each other for just as long in real life, it can feel awkward.  Like a brand new member might see an Anderson (sorry punkhippie) joke and be like, what the heck?  But everyone else is cracking up and they have no idea why?  Now the question remains, how do we combat things like these?  I think it starts with a conscious concerted effort by the league to get behind a recruitment drive, and many people have had great suggestions so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel over here, but we need to move on from our old ways.  We need to get discords going, yes it could possibly take away from forum activity, but to that I say, what forum activity?  Discord is the new future of gaming discussion and this is a game.  We need to work on minimizing our PTs, the template thing is a brilliant idea and I am 100% behind that.  More importantly than anything else though is we have to look attractive to the passing member, and I'm not talking about the beautiful site that boubabi just made, I am talking forum discussion about things.  Anything, you guys have to like things, right?  Talk about them.  I mean I am in both SHL and VHL and hold roles in the juniors for both of them.  Yet, when I want to discuss something I go to SHL because I feel more confident in their ability to get a discussion going.  Not just one or two direct responses in a thread, but a discussion.  I am willing to start post whoring again, like I used to, if that's what it takes, but I can't just talk to myself all the time.  So, I will start now, I am going to mosey on over to the discussion forum and post about my wisdom teeth like I did on SHL and hopefully I get some responses, but I can't say I am confident I will and that's a big problem.  These are the reasons I see that seem to be why we can't retain members from other sim leagues or at least the ones that have been communicated to me by people I've talked to about the VHL.

I don't understand how people the the SHL or other leagues get the notion that the VHL takes a ton of time to be successful. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the SHL don't you get a certain amount of tpe based on how many words you write for your articles? In the VHL, you can make a semi successful welfare player with very minimal effort, or make 450 word media spots a week which shouldn't take more than an hour a week

Shouldn't even take you that long but I think the idea for the SHL is, you can come up with one topic and make 10 mil off one article which you can spend 1 mil of for 5 tpe each week.  If you made a 10k word article here it would just be 6 TPE.  And there are some people who only write highly analytical things over there but won't come over here for that reason.  It's like do all this work once and be set for 50 TPE over the course of 10 weeks, or do all this work every week.  Sometimes I guess it is just hard for people to come up with something new every week.  This is just my guess.